Speaker location post-1971

General MGB discussion
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Speaker location post-1971

Post by Tom Brearley » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:09 am

Hello,

I believe the space for mounting a radio in the dash was moved by the factory down to the trendy new console after 1971. The space previously used for a radio became a pair of fresh air vents. The speaker was previously mounted in the console area but was now displaced.

So where did it go? Was there a factory-standard location for speakers, or was that left to the buyer's discretion when and if he fitted an aftermarket sound system?

I'm restoring my 1973 GT so would be interested to know which orifice my Slade should be coming from.

Many thanks

Tom
1973 MGB GT (Exeter) - currently shaking down after 3 years off the road

Ian Fozzard
Forename: Ian
Surname: Fozzard

Re: Speaker location post-1971

Post by Ian Fozzard » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:04 am

Hi Tom,
when I bought my 1972 BGT in 1978, it had a Motorola push button radio fitted in the console, and the fresh air vents in the fascia above, so similar to what you describe. The speaker was screwed (face down) to a metal bar under the glove box. Still has all of this, although of course the push button radio is of limited use today!
Definitely an aftermarket fitting I would think, but perhaps fitted by the garage where the MG was originally purchased? Seems like a reasonable solution unless you need Slade in glorious stereo, when I would suggest a speaker in each door card. A bit more trouble and mess to achieve I think.

Ian F

Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:39 pm

When I bought my 1977 BGT the speakers were in the door cards as a factory fitting. The current radio/ cassette player is a removable Phillips with a graphic equalizer and the electric aerial rises when the radio is switched on. This set up suits me well as I'm not into all this fancy downloading, streaming etc and I wouldn't know how to do it even if I wanted to.
. Vic Butler
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine

Tom Brearley

Post by Tom Brearley » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:42 pm

Just to conclude this thread, the photos below show the installation I went for. There were two ancient spire clips attached to the LHD steering column mounts so I made use of them (in what seemed like a good position). Two homemade brackets support the front edge of the 5" x 7" speaker. The rear is hung off the demister tube by a metal cable tie. The set up is firmer than it sounds.

Audio quality from the cheap Vibe brand speaker is authentically lo-fi, but I was surprised and pleased that it remained audible at 65mph with the Webasto open.
Attachments
IMG_1255.jpg
IMG_1254.jpg
IMG_1253.jpg
Last edited by Tom Brearley on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tom Brearley

Post by Tom Brearley » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:43 pm

View from the passenger seat
Attachments
IMG_1256.jpg