gap between window and seal

General MGB discussion
Remyd
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois

gap between window and seal

Post by Remyd » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:03 pm

HI,

I've just put new seals on the door frame in my MGB GT but there's a gap between the top of the window and the seal on the passenger side.
Also, the door is a little bit harder to close and lock, I have to slam it a bit in order to close it tight. Is that the seal is new and need to settle a bit or do I need to do something else to it?

I'll take some pictures next time I am in the garage.

Remy
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT

Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: gap between window and seal

Post by Peter Cresswell » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:42 pm

Hi Remy
This is a common problem with the seals provided for British classic cars these days. It seems the profile of the rubber seal is slightly different and the rubber (or whatever they are made of now!) is slightly harder. You can try adjusting the door catch on the B pillar to see if it helps make the door shut and lock easier. This might also pull the glass into the seal better.
Until you post a picture of where it the glass is not touching the seal at the top, in general the glass can be adjusted by:
1. You can make some slight adjustment to make the glass touch the seal better by taking the door trim off and packing the glass slider rails to make the glass move in or out at the top.
2. If this doesn't give enough adjustment you can adjust the whole door by loosening the door hinge on the A pillar. There are 8 crosshead machine screws that allow the whole door to be be aligned to make the fit better. You need to constantly check the chrome line still lines up and the general fit of the door in the aperture is still correct and the door doesn't stick out at the bottom. Also two people (one to take the weight of the door) make any door adjustment easier to do.
These links might help you: http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/bodytext.htm#hang
and
http://mg-cars.net/mgb-technical-bbs/do ... 617021.htm
Hope this helps,
Pete
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965

Remyd

Post by Remyd » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:02 am

Thanks, I’ll have a look as soon as I can.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT

Ian Fozzard
Forename: Ian
Surname: Fozzard

Post by Ian Fozzard » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:40 pm

In addition to the advice from Peter, I would suggest the following:

If you take off the door trim card you may be able to adjust (raise) the window winder mechanism itself. It's quite a while since I did mine, but I think there may be some adjustment possible.

If the fit of the door in the door apertures is good (even gaps all round, trim lining up, door flush with the wings) I wouldn't recommend loosening the hinges on the A post or in the door. It can be quite a task to get it right. Focus on the glass itself.

If you take off the striker plate, you should be able to see the natural hang of the door, if that looks good, don't adjust it!

It took me a lot of fettling to get the door glass to fit against the rubber seal at the top. It usually leaked in water before I got it reasonably OK. It's still not perfect, but it doesn't leak so I am content.

Ian F
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear

Remyd

Post by Remyd » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:11 pm

Thank you for the advice, I suspect that it was never really lined up as my girlfriend mentioned that it rattled a little bit the few times we went for a ride.
I'll have a look when the weather is more clement as my garage is tiny ( can't fully open the doors in it) and i am lacking light in it too so most of my work has to be done outside. As far as I can see, the door is pretty much lined up, unlike the drivers door but that's something to look at another day, so I suspect it is the glass. I'll have to do some research about it as I know nothing about it!
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT

Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:45 pm

Remy,
I've never had to adjust my door windows, admittedly my car is a roadster but the fitting process is the same . See attached which may assist.
Cheers,
Charles
Attachments
20210116_163924.jpg
1980 Roadster

Remyd

Post by Remyd » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:03 pm

The mor I think of it, it might be that the new rubber seal sticks out a bit near the striker plate which make me think that it causes the door to be harder to close and to stick out a bit thus creating a gap at the top. The drivers door is fine even though I changed the seal on that one too. I will take a picture tomorrow to try to make it a bit clearer.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT

Remyd

Post by Remyd » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:04 pm

Charles Farran wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:45 pm
Remy,
I've never had to adjust my door windows, admittedly my car is a roadster but the fitting process is the same . See attached which may assist.
Cheers,
Charles
Thanks for that Charles. What book is this from?
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT

Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:11 pm

MGB Repair Operation Manual AKM 4070 - earlier versions are available, but the doorr window arragement should be the same.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster

Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott

Post by Paul Scott » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:27 pm

Remy you have the earlier version of Charles' book

You need to get to page 350 ish

StaySafe

Paul