Jubilee wheels ?

General MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: Silk

Jubilee wheels ?

Post by Not_Anumber »

I spotted a set of 'Jubilee' MGB wheels for sale on Ebay. To my untutored eye they look like V8 wheels though the seller has commented they are similar but not the same. Im wondering about them as an alternative to the current rostyles on my BGT.

Are these the wheels that were fitted on the late LE Bs and are they basically a narrower version of the V8 wheel ?
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Re: Jubilee wheels ?

Post by Vic Butler »

No, the LE wheels are nothing like Jubilee wheels. The Triumph Stag alloy wheels are the nearest look alike to LE ones. They're not interchangeable as the Stag wheels have a different offset
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

I always thought the V8 and Jubilee used the same wheels and Clausager's book seems to confirm this. In both cases they are 5J x 14 but the V8 had chrome rims with black and polished alloy centres, whereas the Jubilee had gold rims with black and gold centres. You have to be extremely cautious buying these wheels as the steel rims and alloy centres react with each other, rendering the wheels dangerous. They are very expensive to refurbish as the rim has to be removed from the centre and treated separately and if the corrosion between the alloy and steel is bad then they are scrap as the centres are not available separately. New, all alloy versions are available from Clive Wheatley but they are 15in diameter rather than the 14in of the originals so a new set of tyres are needed.

I would not recommend buying these wheels unseen! All the other wheels fitted to an MGB are fine as they can all be refurbished if needed.

As for widths, the original roadster steel wheels were 4J x 14, the GT were 5J x 14, all wire wheels were 4.5J x 14, 60 spoke. Rostyle wheels are 5J x 14. The V8 and Jubilee had 5J x 14 steel/alloy, and the LE wheels are 5J x 14 all alloy. The aftermarket alloys are usually 5.5J x 14 and with 185/70 x 14 tyres are likely to rub on the wheel on the wheel arches on one side or the other - or both sides! Competition wire wheels are 5.5J x 14, 72 spoke.

As Vic mentions the LE had different and unique wheels - they are not the same wheel as the Stag used.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: Silk

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks Peter.
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

If they are the Ebay ones for sale in Wrexham, it the Welsh MG Centre who are reputable seller of good MG parts. I suggest you ring them and ask about the wheels and any corrosion between the rims and the centres. I have had a rear axle and a gearbox from them and both were in excellent condition.
There is currently a refurbished MGB V8 alloy wheel centre for sale on ebay for £360 and I have seen prices of £2000 to refurbish 4 MGB V8 wheels, so be very careful about any cheap V8/Jubilee wheels.
Pete
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965