Oil pressure

Technical MGB discussion
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Re: Oil pressure

Post by Vic Butler » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:49 pm

I used to fit AC X19 filters but they haven't been available for some considerable time so I switched to Fram PH2857A filters which have the anti drain valve and my local independent motor factor can get easily for me next day.
It's easy to cross thread the filter. Put it on very carefully and it will spin easily down the thread.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine

Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Vic,
It was some 15 years ago i made the error! Having done some 15 oil filter changes since ,i've got the hang of
it now. The filters i use have the anti drain valve, altougth you still have to watch for a bit of an oily mess when unscrewing & removing the used filter. Other than a GFE 121 i have also bought WIX WL 7078 from MGOC spares. There has been quite a discussion on which make of filters to use on the BBS site as there are some on the market which are very poor. (The WIX product was viewed very positively although it comes down to individual choice)!
Cheers, Charles
1980 Roadster

Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:09 am

I had a problem with low oil pressure after an engine re build. We eventually traced it to the oil filter head. The pipe which goes inside the filter was sticking up too much and fouling the valve in the top of the Rover filter. It hadn't been a problem with the Mann filters I generally use. So its best to check your pipe doesn't stick up more than 40 mm from the aluminium collar it goes into.
I have also changed my pressure relief valve in the car. You need the right ring spanner with just the right amount of crank in it. To get it back in you need very strong fingers or else a piece of wood to lever it.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF

Dave Wheatley
Forename: Dave
Surname: Wheatley

Post by Dave Wheatley » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:39 am

Thanks Paul.

Filter change first, and I'll check the pipe height, and if all else fails, dreaded relief valve!

Dave
1978 MGB GT
1931 Austin 7 RM
1955 Standard 10
1972 Ford Cortina
No modern!