trip counter

Technical MGB discussion
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Re: trip counter

Post by Vic Butler » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:38 pm

It appears there's a problem with the mechanism that operates the odometers in both cases.
Repair or replacement seems to be the remedy.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine

nathan_f
Forename: Nathan
Surname: F

Post by nathan_f » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:53 pm

I think it was user error on my part... I believe I failed to pull the knob all the way back out, which was causing weirdness... :oops:

Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi Nathan,
There is no problem with resurrecting a dead thread. I think they are all live for all time! This is good as it goes some way to keeping information together about a topic.
See the attached picture taken from the Moss Europe web site and it shows the clamping arrangement for the later 80mm Speedometer (and Tachometer). The clamping arrangement is parts 13, 14 and 15 in the diagram. The listing shows for part 14 that 4 are required per car so the Speedo and the Tacho both use the same clamp and there are 2 per instrument. So you do have to undo the knurled nut a bit to be able to rotate the instrument. You probably have to get your hand onto it at the back of the dash panel to twist it and then push forwards do it. You do need to release teh speedo cable and the wiring for various lights in order to take the instrument out completely.
The Haynes manual doesn't refer to twisting the speedo to remove, but it does tell you to remove the parts 13,14 and 15 in order to take it out.
mgb_16_05_02.jpg
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965