Ultra sonic cleaning -any tips on buying a bath?

Technical MGB discussion
B Faiers
Forename: Barry
Surname: Faiers

Ultra sonic cleaning -any tips on buying a bath?

Post by B Faiers » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:31 am

I have been toying with the idea of buying an ultra sonic cleaning bath for some time, but am a bit worried that the £100 ish models might not be any use. Has anyone got any experience of them, or any hints or tips please? I would like one that ideally will take items up to about 10 inches long.
Thanks
Barry
1964 MGB Roadster
1958 MGA Coupe
1926 MG 14/28 Bullnose
2012 MG 6TSE
2003 MG ZS180

Dave Wheatley
Forename: Dave
Surname: Wheatley

Re: Ultra sonic cleaning -any tips on buying a bath?

Post by Dave Wheatley » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:31 pm

The only experience of them that I have is when I was mechanical engineer to the local sailing club. We had a 3 carb Mercury outboard on the safety boat, and the carbs were constantly bunging up. We bought a cheapo ebay tank that wouldn take the carbs one at a time, and it certainly worked. Not sure that the expensive ones are any better. The price seems to go up with the size.
1978 MGB GT
1931 Austin 7 RM
1955 Standard 10
1972 Ford Cortina
No modern!

Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: Ultra sonic cleaning -any tips on buying a bath?

Post by Peter Cresswell » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:11 pm

Hi Barry
A lot of engine machine shops use ultrasonic baths for cleaning components and I have seen some incredible results from the large industrial baths available, particularly on aluminium casting. I have one of the small hobby ones which I bought when they first became available (it was around £120!) and the results are very mixed. It the item is already quite clean it works well, if not it doesn't really do the job without a lot of intervention. I have found that using very hot water and double the amount of cleaning agent gets better results but it does take several cycles of 4 mins each and a bit of scrubbing in between is needed.
I now rarely use it preferring an areosol of brake or carb cleaner to shift or at least loosen the muck before using the ultrasonic tank to finish it off.
So I think the bottom line is 'don't expect too much'!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965