heat effect on ignition system mgb.

Technical MGB discussion
Peter williams
Forename: peter
Surname: williams

heat effect on ignition system mgb.

Post by Peter williams » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:03 pm

A gentleman has suggested my problem with my car suffering from suspected fuel starvation may be
caused by a breakdown with the ignition system due to heat.
I will try anything.
next question what can break down to heat in the ignition system.
any suggestion would be grateful.
Regards
Peter Williams.

Ian Fozzard
Forename: Ian
Surname: Fozzard

Re: heat effect on ignition system mgb.

Post by Ian Fozzard » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:25 pm

Peter, see my other reply to try replacement ignition parts. One important question - when the engine stops and will not start, does the fuel pump tick right up to that point? If it has stopped ticking some time previously then that could be causing fuel starvation.
When the engine stops (ideally in your garage after running for 30 minutes) I would listen for the tick of the pump. I would disconnect the fuel line under the bonnet and switch on the ignition with the fuel line draining into a receptacle. The pump should tick away and deliver fuel until you switch off. If it doesn't you have a problem.
Ian F
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear

Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:59 pm

Peter,
Did the car perform ok until the fuel pump played up?
If it did, then the problem is possibly due to a fuel related issue unless you have replaced or adjusted something else other than the pump or filter.
As has already been suggested , check the dlverery to the pipe juxt before it enters the carbs. On a original type fuel pump you should get beteeen 1 & 2 pints a minute .Have you installed the fuel filter the correct way round ?
When you had the initial problem, have you cosidered whether some of the rubber fuel hose line hss also degraded & thus caused a slight blockage in the carbs? Instaling a new pump may have assisted in doing this.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster

Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:44 pm

Am I right in thinking you've replaced the fuel pump? If so have you connected the fuel lines the right way round to the pump?
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine