Changing temperature gauge type

Technical MGB discussion
Tom Ward
Forename: Tom
Surname: Ward

Changing temperature gauge type

Post by Tom Ward »

I've just 'removed' the temperature sender by cutting the capillary line to the gauge. I realise this is something of an error but there really didn't seem to be an alternative choice as the sender was corroded into the head and had the nut ringed off, no amount of persuasion with spanners or grips was budging it.

I'm able to have my gauge repaired which seems quite expensive. I've found an alternative on Ebay which is claimed to be an original unit refurbished for a slightly better price but obviously comes with no guarantees.

However, I'm wondering if it would be better to remove the capillary bulb and change to a later electrical plug type if I'm going to change the gauge anyway? What year would I be looking for and would I require some kind of electrical supply to the gauge? The current gauge is a dual oil pressure and water temperature one and is in a 1976 car.

I'm not averse to modernising a gauge or two for reliability as the car is not original and is intended for track days and light motorsport. Worst case would be to separate the two gauges but the combined cost is heading towards the cost of having mine repaired, not to mention the time to add another hole into the dash.
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Re: Changing temperature gauge type

Post by Vic Butler »

The gauge and sensor from a late rubber bumper will fit. The gauge and sensor have to be compatible. A supply could be taken from an ignition controlled source on the fuse box.
The existing water/oil pressure gauge could be left in situ for the oil pressure and the temperature gauge mounted on an auxiliary panel.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: Silk

Post by Not_Anumber »

This has made me wonder about the very inexpensive replica Smiths gauges that have been popping up on Ebay. I wonder if one of these might be worth exploring for this especially if the original face and perhaps bezel were fitted to the replica gauge ?
Tom Ward
Forename: Tom
Surname: Ward

Post by Tom Ward »

Thanks for the replies. I received a second quote for the repair of mine which was a bit more palatable so I’m going to get mine repaired.

I wondered about a lower cost gauge but am part way into building what is going to result in a fairly expensive engine and for the sake of £100 I’d rather know I’m getting reliable information on the engine. Cheap gauges might be fine but I’m not taking the chance.

I was quite tempted to remove the dual gauge completely and fit a pair of VDO or similar in a pod on the dash. The old hole could take a time of day clock. That might be a project for later. For now though I’ll stick with the Smiths gauge.