Thoughts from Quarantine by Scott Fitzgerald

General MGB discussion
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Thoughts from Quarantine by Scott Fitzgerald

Post by Peter Cresswell » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 pm

I won't do these every day - I promise, but these words were sent to by Erik Benson, MG enthusiast, ex T-Racer and expat Scot living under lock down in Cognac, France. Their lock down is a few degrees more stringent than our - at the moment!

A LETTER FROM F. SCOTT FITZGERALD, QUARANTINED IN 1920 IN THE SOUTH OF FRANCE DURING THE SPANISH INFLUENZA OUTBREAK.

Dearest Rosemary,
It was a limpid dreary day, hung as in a basket from a single dull star. I thank you for your letter. Outside, I perceive what may be a collection of fallen leaves tussling against a trash can. It rings like jazz to my ears. The streets are that empty. It seems as though the bulk of the city has retreated to their quarters, rightfully so. At this time, it seems very poignant to avoid all public spaces. Even the bars, as I told Hemingway, but to that he punched me in the stomach, to which I asked if he had washed his hands. He hadn’t. He is much the denier, that one. Why, he considers the virus to be just influenza. I’m curious of his sources.
The officials have alerted us to ensure we have a month’s worth of necessities. Zelda and I have stocked up on red wine, whiskey, rum, vermouth, absinthe, white wine, sherry, gin, and lord, if we need it, brandy. Please pray for us.
You should see the square, oh, it is terrible. I weep for the damned eventualities this future brings. The long afternoons rolling forward slowly on the ever-slick bottomless highball. Z. says it’s no excuse to drink, but I just can’t seem to steady my hand. In the distance, from my brooding perch, the shoreline is cloaked in a dull haze where I can discern an unremitting penance that has been heading this way for a long, long while. And yet, amongst the cracked cloudline of an evening’s cast, I focus on a single strain of light, calling me forth to believe in a better morrow.
Faithfully yours,
F. Scott Fitzgerald

History repeating after 100 years and the human emotions remain the same :)
But at least he stocked the most essential
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2011 MG 6 TSE Magnette
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 32 other cars since 1965

Ian Fozzard
Forename: Ian
Surname: Fozzard

Re: Thoughts from Quarantine by Scott Fitzgerald

Post by Ian Fozzard » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:40 am

Many thanks for that Peter, strangely uplifting, probably because we can see it has all happened before, and it does eventually pass.

I think our MGs may be getting quite a bit more Springtime preparation than usual, should be very shiny by July 😊

Ian F
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear

Ian Fozzard
Forename: Ian
Surname: Fozzard

Post by Ian Fozzard » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:19 pm

Oops!!

Just discovered it's a spoof🤭!

Skillfully imitating SFG, but unfortunately not written by him.

Fooled me though.......

Ian F
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear

Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:06 pm

Me too!!!!!
It will cost Benson when I see him! Not anytime soon though.
Pete
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2011 MG 6 TSE Magnette
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 32 other cars since 1965

Ray Masters
Forename: Ray
Surname: Masters

Post by Ray Masters » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:53 am

Hi Pete . When / if you have contact with Erik again please give him my regards. Last met him briefly at Vintage Montlhery in 1999 . I was a Triple M racer in 60s/70s with yourself , Erik , Dave Clewley , the late Harry Whitehouse etc etc.
Enjoyed your Darwinian offering by the way . Regards , Ray