Search found 11 matches

by Bob Featherstone
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:31 pm
Forum: MGB Technical
Topic: Engine number
Replies: 2
Views: 9065

Re: Engine number

Thanks Pete.
To be honest the engine number on the car has been partly removed at some point and all that remains is the final ...47 and the whole number I quoted is correct as per the V5C. It looks like I will have to leave this to my professional mechanic as it is beyond me - I just polish and ...
by Bob Featherstone
Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:22 pm
Forum: MGB Technical
Topic: Engine number
Replies: 2
Views: 9065

Engine number

Not sure if this General or Technical. I know the engine on my 1977 roadster was changed just before I bought it but I want to find out what year, and even type, the engine is. The reason I am asking is that I have recently purchased a Q Parts Fast Road Camshaft but the valves come in different ...
by Bob Featherstone
Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:40 am
Forum: MGB General
Topic: Engine number
Replies: 2
Views: 11463

Engine number

Not sure if this General or Technical. I know the engine on my 1977 roadster was changed just before I bought it but I want to find out what year, and even type, the engine is. I have looked at various websites but without success on identifying anything like mine. The number is 18VEHZ15547.
by Bob Featherstone
Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:36 am
Forum: MGB Technical
Topic: Tuning hints
Replies: 6
Views: 19900

Re: Tuning hints

Thanks for your reply in detail, Pete. I was rather hoping for a power increase without loss of low rev flexibility. I have read elsewhere that the 718 cam is not as bad (high revs only) as it may seem and adds more to output. Maybe camshaft is not the answer and I also know I don't want to lose ...
by Bob Featherstone
Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:17 am
Forum: MGB Technical
Topic: Tuning hints
Replies: 6
Views: 19900

Tuning hints

I have 'improved' my B as much as I can in the looks (inside & out) and in the handling and stopping departments. I have also done the usual and recommended things in the engine bay such as electronic ignition, K & N filters, full stainless steel exhaust system and the car runs very well and ...
by Bob Featherstone
Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:07 pm
Forum: MGB General
Topic: Bonnet-sited number plate
Replies: 3
Views: 11098

Re: Bonnet-sited number plate

Many thanks to George and Peter for all your knowledge and help. I think, to stay within the spirit of the law and to avoid any possible future embarrassment, that I will now think of placing the current plate on to the front in the centre of the rubber bumper - I like my car to look different ...
by Bob Featherstone
Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:50 pm
Forum: MGB General
Topic: Bonnet-sited number plate
Replies: 3
Views: 11098

Bonnet-sited number plate

I am thinking of fixing a self adhesive number plate (black on white), purely for aesthetic reasons, nothing to do with cooling issues. I have heard that this is now illegal, even if they are professionally made with the correct reflective material etc but you can see many examples of them on the ...
by Bob Featherstone
Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:27 pm
Forum: MGB Technical
Topic: replacement front anti roll bar
Replies: 12
Views: 39244

Re: replacement front anti roll bar

Further to my previous message, I have now road tested my B and find that the handling is much improved, having lost all that 'wallowing' sensation and have even lost the rear nearside tyre from rubbing on the wheel arch as the whole body stays much flatter. The whole car is much tauter and even the ...
by Bob Featherstone
Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:38 am
Forum: MGB Technical
Topic: Ethanol in petrol
Replies: 12
Views: 38926

Re: Ethanol in petrol

I agree with David that Shell V Power is good, but it is always so much more expensive than the Tesco 99 and both seem to perform the same - also don't forget that Tesco 99 is one of the main sponsors of the successful MG Touring Car team!
Bob in Devon
by Bob Featherstone
Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:32 am
Forum: MGB Technical
Topic: replacement front anti roll bar
Replies: 12
Views: 39244

Re: replacement front anti roll bar

I have just had fitted to my 77 B roadster a 3/4" front anti roll bar, together with new link arms, and V8 wishbone bushes and top bushes, lower 480 lb front springs and fast road rear poly bushes - all intended to stiffen and steady the handling. Wet roads have stopped any proper road testing yet ...