Search found 15 matches
- Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:55 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Tyre sizes
- Replies: 11
- Views: 40987
Re: Tyre sizes
Thanks Peter, So a set of 165/80 14 will be the closest in size to those I have on at present. Other than inaccurate speedo ( a minor worry) what are the advantages/disadvantages of changing from the original tyre size to a wider one say 175/75 14 or 185/70 14 utilising the same standard rostyle ...
- Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:20 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Tyre sizes
- Replies: 11
- Views: 40987
Re: Tyre sizes
I'm puzzled. On my bog standard '79 BGT rostyle wheels,the front tyres are labelled Michelin MX 165 R14, on the rear Hankook Steel Radial 880 165 R14. ie neither show a profile size. What profile are they likely to be ? If I want to replace like for like on size what size should I now look for?
- Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:18 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Overdrive Switch?
- Replies: 6
- Views: 19241
Re: Overdrive Switch?
I guess the switch could be for any accessory a previous owner had cared to fit.
What year is it?
Can he look underneath to see O/D unit?
What year is it?
Can he look underneath to see O/D unit?
- Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:18 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Efficient cooling in hot conditions.
- Replies: 10
- Views: 25597
Re: Efficient cooling in hot conditions.
This weekend fitted a new radiator and a Kenlowe puller fan + thermostatic controller and flushed water jacket thoroughly. I left the original pusher fan in position and added a manual overide instead of the Otter switch so that can be switched on too if necessary. The old radiator looked OK in situ ...
- Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:18 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Revs slow to drop
- Replies: 8
- Views: 18566
Re: Revs slow to drop
Geoff Edwards wrote:
> Hi John,
> I don't know if you ever solved your "revs slow to drop" problem.
> If your carbs are to the original spec, the butterfly valves incorporated a
> small valve for anti emission reasons, so that all the fuel was burnt off
> BUT it meant that the revs dropped very ...
> Hi John,
> I don't know if you ever solved your "revs slow to drop" problem.
> If your carbs are to the original spec, the butterfly valves incorporated a
> small valve for anti emission reasons, so that all the fuel was burnt off
> BUT it meant that the revs dropped very ...
- Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:45 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Efficient cooling in hot conditions.
- Replies: 10
- Views: 25597
Re: Efficient cooling in hot conditions.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
- Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:27 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Efficient cooling in hot conditions.
- Replies: 10
- Views: 25597
Re: Efficient cooling in hot conditions.
...and thank you too Jim. Looks like all should be OK so long as every thing is working properly, no sludge in system and a second fan fitted just in case!
- Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:21 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Efficient cooling in hot conditions.
- Replies: 10
- Views: 25597
Re: Efficient cooling in hot conditions.
Thanks Peter
Yes the car has a pusher electric fan as OE controlled by an Otter switch.
The fins on my rad have a area where they're gone- so a new rad might be wise in any case- Is there a "High efficiency" rad available? ( late rad with cap on overflow tank). I intend to flush the block as much as ...
Yes the car has a pusher electric fan as OE controlled by an Otter switch.
The fins on my rad have a area where they're gone- so a new rad might be wise in any case- Is there a "High efficiency" rad available? ( late rad with cap on overflow tank). I intend to flush the block as much as ...
- Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:45 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Efficient cooling in hot conditions.
- Replies: 10
- Views: 25597
Efficient cooling in hot conditions.
I'm entering a bog standard 1979 BGT in the Italian MG Club Tour in Sicily this summer. I expect the area to be very hot and very mountainous. Any tips on how to keep the engine temp normal?
- Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:52 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: MGB TOOLS AND SPARES TO CARRY
- Replies: 11
- Views: 30373
Re: MGB TOOLS AND SPARES TO CARRY
...."I have flipped over the spare and fastened it with a bold & spacer, giving plenty space " -- What a good idea, Peter! It's one of those - Why-on-earth-haven't-I-thought-of-that moments!