Search found 5 matches

by Paul Wiley
Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:00 am
Forum: MGB Technical
Topic: Deck chair seat covers loose
Replies: 2
Views: 8664

Re: Deck chair seat covers loose

The covers are removable. The foam cushions underneath slowly collapse over time and the rubber diaphragm under the sear can be damaged meaning that it is no longer attached to the frame at all points. All parts can be obtained from the MG Owners Club and perhaps other suppliers.

New cushions to ...
by Paul Wiley
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:47 am
Forum: MGB Technical
Topic: LED bulbs
Replies: 8
Views: 25773

Re: LED bulbs

As with any modern replacements for old incandescent light bulbs take care. They can greatly increase the available light. BUT in an accident the other driver may claim they were dazzled by your lights causing the accident. The police will not look kindly on your 'improvements'.

I have fitted the ...
by Paul Wiley
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:42 am
Forum: MGB Technical
Topic: Garage Jacks
Replies: 4
Views: 12227

Re: Garage Jacks

I use a small hydraulic jack. They are mechanically very efficient so the jacking process is very easy. HOWEVER the car is too low (just) to allow the jack to go under the car even on a smooth surface. So a second jack is needed to start the lifting process. If you are tempted to get a hydraulic ...
by Paul Wiley
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:38 am
Forum: MGB Technical
Topic: oil filter seal
Replies: 7
Views: 17742

Re: oil filter seal

I also have a 77 car with the spin on filter. Removing it makes quite mess, dropping oil over the engine. So before I remove it I punch a small hole in the end of the filter. A nail or small cold chisel with do this easily. Then most of the oil drains back in toe the sump in about 15 - 20 minutes ...
by Paul Wiley
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:28 am
Forum: MGB Technical
Topic: engine oil dipstick
Replies: 9
Views: 25147

Re: engine oil dipstick

Interesting.

I have a 77 car. The rubber gaiter on the dipstick has become hard and no longer seals the tube in which the dipstick sits. As a result there is some blow-by of gases which carry oil droplets. These coat the area around it. There is not much but it looks messy.

I tried soaking the ...