I am looking at replacing the copper pipe that runs from the fuel tank to the pump on my 1973 GT. Access is good at the moment, as the brake backplate is off. Any tips for accomplishing the job with minimal stress and swearing would be gratefully received.
Tom
Search found 122 matches
- Sun Nov 16, 2025 9:55 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Replacing tank to pump fuel pipe
- Replies: 1
- Views: 75949
- Wed Oct 22, 2025 8:30 pm
- Forum: MGB General
- Topic: rear GT seat refurb
- Replies: 2
- Views: 123653
Re: rear GT seat refurb
You may already have done the job, but in case it's still of use, I found the fabric could be removed by carefully levering out the staples with a small screwdriver. (Taking lots of photos of how everything went for reference.)
- Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:34 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Head Gasket Failure?
- Replies: 16
- Views: 380614
Re: Head Gasket Failure?
Well, I got the head off yesterday and the diagnosis was correct. The head gasket had blown through between cylinders 3 and 4.
Twice! Bit surprised to find two gaskets in situ: a metal one on top, and a Payen type beneath. Is this normal? It's an Ivor Searle rebuilt engine which I bought 15 years ...
Twice! Bit surprised to find two gaskets in situ: a metal one on top, and a Payen type beneath. Is this normal? It's an Ivor Searle rebuilt engine which I bought 15 years ...
- Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:29 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: No hazard voltage
- Replies: 15
- Views: 109203
Re: No hazard voltage
Things may be different for US cars, but the inline fuse was located behind the centre console when hazards were first fitted as standard here.
- Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:18 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Head Gasket Failure?
- Replies: 16
- Views: 380614
Re: Head Gasket Failure?
Chris - thanks for the moral support. I'm coming round to your way of thinking. My main worry is that something more complicated is going on; I will do the work; and it still won't run properly.
Hence my question in the subject of this thread.
Vic - thank you for the tip.
Vic - thank you for the tip.
- Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:12 pm
- Forum: MGB General
- Topic: Seat adjustment
- Replies: 6
- Views: 84008
Re: Seat adjustment
Sounds like a pain in the neck!
You could maybe experiment with loosening the webbing which the seat foam sits on?
You could maybe experiment with loosening the webbing which the seat foam sits on?
- Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:24 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Head Gasket Failure?
- Replies: 16
- Views: 380614
Re: Head Gasket Failure?
Thanks All.
If anyone can recommend a classic-friendly garage in the Exeter area, I would be grateful. The one I have used before (at Tipton St John) can't book me in until late September - and I'm not that keen to do the job myself.
If anyone can recommend a classic-friendly garage in the Exeter area, I would be grateful. The one I have used before (at Tipton St John) can't book me in until late September - and I'm not that keen to do the job myself.
- Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:18 pm
- Forum: Parts For Sale/Wanted
- Topic: Free: Trim Materials
- Replies: 1
- Views: 8566
Re: Free: Trim Materials
<Bump>
These items are still available and loitering in the back of my shed.
These items are still available and loitering in the back of my shed.
- Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:07 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Head Gasket Failure?
- Replies: 16
- Views: 380614
Re: Head Gasket Failure?
"If you drive it like this you risk eroding the head and block in that location necessitating skimming of both."
Annoyingly, I drove it for 35 miles to get home - having been advised it was a cracked exhaust manifold.
Annoyingly, I drove it for 35 miles to get home - having been advised it was a cracked exhaust manifold.
- Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:23 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Head Gasket Failure?
- Replies: 16
- Views: 380614
Re: Head Gasket Failure?
I have indeed: all looks normal.