Paul,
Very happy to hear you've found a near-local shop to handle this work for you, and another early MGB will be saved!
I did essentially all the work yours needs on GHN3L/978__a really early one__back in the late 80s. It IS a formidable job, and I'm pleased to say that the gentleman (at least ...
Search found 14 matches
- Tue Jul 28, 2026 9:48 pm
- Forum: MGB General
- Topic: Restoration dilemma
- Replies: 13
- Views: 180087
- Wed Dec 10, 2025 4:18 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Exhaust Front Pipe Seals -which way up?
- Replies: 5
- Views: 76514
Re: Exhaust Front Pipe Seals -which way up?
Well, I cannot say positively which way is correct, but I can state which way works, and why I do it that way.
I put the metal side up, because when/if replacing, it's a lot easier to scrape any remnants of the donut off the pipe, than from out of the manifold while working upside down. I've never ...
I put the metal side up, because when/if replacing, it's a lot easier to scrape any remnants of the donut off the pipe, than from out of the manifold while working upside down. I've never ...
- Mon Aug 04, 2025 1:42 pm
- Forum: MGB General
- Topic: Old picture of MGB GT
- Replies: 7
- Views: 298244
Re: Old picture of MGB GT
My 1967 MGB GT was purchased in England by a US Serviceman stationed in Germany. It is a US-spec (LHD/mph-imperial gauges, etc.) though it does have amber rear signal lights (previous '66 & '67 Bs I've had were fitted with only red lenses).
While nearly all of its paperwork/service records have ...
While nearly all of its paperwork/service records have ...
- Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:06 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Steering UJ
- Replies: 9
- Views: 66387
Re: Steering UJ
Thank you, I completely overlooked it__just like when I can't find the tool I just set down in the shop...Michael Barclay wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:59 pm Both Moss and Rimmer sell just the UJ. Part No GUJ200
Mike Barclay
Moss # for the good one 263-265
Spicer Italcardano # 050910000 (2.046" x .750" cap dia)
- Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:24 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Steering UJ
- Replies: 9
- Views: 66387
Re: Steering UJ
Does anyone know of a source for just the universal joint itself, as in the "X" part, separate from the two (2) yokes?
I can see that it's a Hardy-Spicer joint, but know nothing about a replacement, other than the $140.00 USD (REALLY, $140?) Moss replacement that looks like the > '75 and later ...
I can see that it's a Hardy-Spicer joint, but know nothing about a replacement, other than the $140.00 USD (REALLY, $140?) Moss replacement that looks like the > '75 and later ...
- Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:26 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: King pin shims.
- Replies: 4
- Views: 24735
Re: King pin shims.
Maybe not such a necessity on an MGB, but the Healey (100, 100/6 & 3000) use an identical king-pin/stub-axle arrangement (of slightly increased size) and suppliers offer a "Nadella type" needle-roller bearing substitute for the bronze thrust washer.
Clearances are set as you would for the bronze ...
Clearances are set as you would for the bronze ...
- Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:17 pm
- Forum: MGB General
- Topic: What’s the worst job on an MG
- Replies: 13
- Views: 387566
Re: What’s the worst job on an MG
While R&R'ing the heater is no picnic, and the RWC retaining clips can be a pita, I find that refitting the xmsn mount bolts on cars with overdrive to be one of the more frustrating tasks.
- Thu May 04, 2023 1:29 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Gear lever knob
- Replies: 6
- Views: 32234
Re: Gear lever knob
Many thanks Tom and others. My car is a factory original V8 and it appears an owner has cut off the threaded part of the lever and fitted a clamping MOMO gear knob. The throw is obviously very short but I have to say, rather lovely so I'll keep it that way. The overdrive switch is on the left ...
- Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:35 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Top end ticking
- Replies: 10
- Views: 37225
Re: Top end ticking
Loose valves won't cost you money__TIGHT ONES WILL!
That was drilled into my head when I bought my first (of 17-18 total) MGB back in 1973.
By whom? Bill Maciolek, a BMC dealer trained mechanic & MGB E-Production racer.
If you reduce the clearance to make the valves quieter, you'll almost ...
That was drilled into my head when I bought my first (of 17-18 total) MGB back in 1973.
By whom? Bill Maciolek, a BMC dealer trained mechanic & MGB E-Production racer.
If you reduce the clearance to make the valves quieter, you'll almost ...
- Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:05 pm
- Forum: MGB General
- Topic: Factory record copy Personal Export Delivery
- Replies: 11
- Views: 48707
Re: Factory record copy Personal Export Delivery
Mine was PED to Bavaria originally. There's some info in the BL Passport to Service which came with the car.
I think my '67 MGB GT traveled a similar route; BMIHT certificate declares Personal Export Delivery, USA . I do have a German logbook that (more or less proves...) it remained in Germany ...