Search found 45 matches
- Fri Mar 27, 2026 3:51 pm
- Forum: MGB General
- Topic: MGB Roadster budget restoration & conversion
- Replies: 24
- Views: 6763
Re: MGB Roadster budget restoration & conversion
My 1980 Roadster cost me about £3.5k all in to restore to a basically rust free and mechanically perfect condition. I did everything myself including the respray and bought stuff second hand as and when it came up at a good price.
- Wed Jul 16, 2025 1:50 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: US spec dual circuit master cylinder pipe fittings
- Replies: 3
- Views: 387714
Re: US spec dual circuit master cylinder pipe fittings
Check to see if you could use a late UK/ european spec twin circuit master cylinder as they are plentiful
Thanks - that's what I've already got but I'm not overly happy with the brake pedal travel so slowly trying different components. I got hold of an adapter so will try the US MC at some ...
- Thu Jul 03, 2025 9:42 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: US spec dual circuit master cylinder pipe fittings
- Replies: 3
- Views: 387714
Re: US spec dual circuit master cylinder pipe fittings
Having explored further looks like the adapter just isn't available to buy new so only option is a second hand one, which I'm unlikely to find or to make one, which might be feasible. Maybe not worth the effort though.
- Tue Jul 01, 2025 8:43 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: US spec dual circuit master cylinder pipe fittings
- Replies: 3
- Views: 387714
US spec dual circuit master cylinder pipe fittings
Does anyone know what the pipe fitting sizes are in the early dual circuit non servo MC? The part number is GMC235. Looks like both outlets are very big but the rear one has an adapter in to make it smaller. It's the same as this one https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GMC235
I checked the smaller ...
I checked the smaller ...
- Tue Oct 08, 2024 9:25 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Advice on a decent head gasket
- Replies: 39
- Views: 183900
Re: Advice on a decent head gasket
Thanks - mine doesn't hibernate and will be driving all winter, though not too much when it's really wet.
Next job is to get my axle clonk sorted out.
Stu
Next job is to get my axle clonk sorted out.
Stu
- Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:58 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Advice on a decent head gasket
- Replies: 39
- Views: 183900
Re: Advice on a decent head gasket
Hopefully the final update on this one. Last night I drained and flushed the cooling system with some Wynns radiator flush, and then flushed out with clean water. This morning I refilled with coolant and tried the Reld head gasket tester again and it as I suspected it remained completely blue.
So ...
So ...
- Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:48 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Advice on a decent head gasket
- Replies: 39
- Views: 183900
Re: Advice on a decent head gasket
I'm surprised too, and still not 100% sure the gasket is fine but it certainly looks like it.
The brand of the tester was Reld though my theory is that there's nothing actually wrong with the tester but the false positive is caused by very small amounts of oil contaminating the coolant. In my case ...
The brand of the tester was Reld though my theory is that there's nothing actually wrong with the tester but the false positive is caused by very small amounts of oil contaminating the coolant. In my case ...
- Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:43 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Advice on a decent head gasket
- Replies: 39
- Views: 183900
Re: Advice on a decent head gasket
After further driving still no issues so the main thing to take from this is the combustion gas testers are only fit for the bin.
- Mon Sep 30, 2024 7:17 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Advice on a decent head gasket
- Replies: 39
- Views: 183900
Re: Advice on a decent head gasket
More driving today and still no leaks. I'm beginning to think there was never a problem in the first place and the leak was from the top hose on the radiator not being completely tight and me being fooled by the testing kit.
If that turns out to be the case at least I know the combustion chambers ...
If that turns out to be the case at least I know the combustion chambers ...
- Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:59 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Advice on a decent head gasket
- Replies: 39
- Views: 183900
Re: Advice on a decent head gasket
Yes, that's my plan. It seems impossible to have the expansion tank half full though. I took some coolant out of it but it just fills up again when the system gets up yo pressure.
I'll re-torque after a few heat cycles.
Cheers
Stu
I'll re-torque after a few heat cycles.
Cheers
Stu