Hi Chris
The axle was from an MGC, it came in wire wheel casing which I removed and fitted in a steel wheel (rostyle) casing.
I’m not too sure about the 3rd gear question, I would have to do some tests to answer that.what I would need to know is the speed / rpm that you are achieving in a standard ...
Search found 11 matches
- Wed Sep 16, 2026 9:34 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Mgb rear axle ratio
- Replies: 5
- Views: 127
- Thu Sep 10, 2026 10:14 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Mgb rear axle ratio
- Replies: 5
- Views: 127
Re: Mgb rear axle ratio
Come on Ian, what do you think of it then?
- Thu Sep 10, 2026 10:07 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Mgb rear axle ratio
- Replies: 5
- Views: 127
Re: Mgb rear axle ratio
Hi, thanks for the question. It is actually better for rural driving, just think of driving around in permanent overdrive, but on all four gears.it also makes 2nd and third gear far more usable, as we know 2nd gear on an mgb is virtually useless (compared with my tr3 which will do 65 mph in o/d 2nd ...
- Mon Sep 07, 2026 9:34 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Mgb rear axle ratio
- Replies: 5
- Views: 127
Mgb rear axle ratio
Just for interest. Has any one tried a 3.3:1 rear axle in a standard 1800 mgb. I have had one in mine for about 4 years, and I love it.
Tried a 3.7 for a few years it was ok. I think a 3.5 would but ideal, can’t get one. The 3.3 is good, and my car a 1970 gt is an every day driver summer, and winter ...
Tried a 3.7 for a few years it was ok. I think a 3.5 would but ideal, can’t get one. The 3.3 is good, and my car a 1970 gt is an every day driver summer, and winter ...
- Mon Sep 07, 2026 8:38 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: MGB Cooling
- Replies: 7
- Views: 546
Re: MGB Cooling
Hi I have a 1970 mgbgt with an 18v engine. It never ever overheats in any conditions.
1. You must make sure that all internal engine waterways are spotless, and must be kept that way, I use 100% G30 coolant, 100 % is not the most efficient
For cooling. But there is absolutely no corrosion, or sludge ...
1. You must make sure that all internal engine waterways are spotless, and must be kept that way, I use 100% G30 coolant, 100 % is not the most efficient
For cooling. But there is absolutely no corrosion, or sludge ...
- Sun Jan 04, 2026 11:48 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Mgb thermostat
- Replies: 5
- Views: 51138
Re: Mgb thermostat
Thank you all for your help.
I have fitted an 88C thermostat today, incidentally, the one I took out was actually an 82C. On the test run the 88 was much better, I will keep this in for the winter.
The oil cooler tip is good and I will be making a bespoke removable blanking plate.
Also I agree with ...
I have fitted an 88C thermostat today, incidentally, the one I took out was actually an 82C. On the test run the 88 was much better, I will keep this in for the winter.
The oil cooler tip is good and I will be making a bespoke removable blanking plate.
Also I agree with ...
- Fri Jan 02, 2026 10:29 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Mgb thermostat
- Replies: 5
- Views: 51138
Re: Mgb thermostat
Hi Ian
Thanks for the reply. Actually I am trying to adjust the mixtures, but think that the 74c thermostat is not allowing the head to reach a good temperature to do this, especially in these low temps. I have richened the mixture by a flat, so tomorrow I will try the 88c. With the current 74c the ...
Thanks for the reply. Actually I am trying to adjust the mixtures, but think that the 74c thermostat is not allowing the head to reach a good temperature to do this, especially in these low temps. I have richened the mixture by a flat, so tomorrow I will try the 88c. With the current 74c the ...
- Fri Jan 02, 2026 8:56 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Mgb thermostat
- Replies: 5
- Views: 51138
Mgb thermostat
Just a quick question regarding thermostat temp choice. I am using a 74C but engine does not run smoothly, appears weak mixture. tempted to fit an 88C, for the winter. What thoughts.
Regards John
Regards John
- Sun Dec 28, 2025 8:13 am
- Forum: MGB General
- Topic: MX5 into MGB GT engine swap
- Replies: 40
- Views: 136771
Re: MX5 engine swap
Hi
May I ask which MX5 engine, and gearbox you are fitting in your mgb.
Regards John
May I ask which MX5 engine, and gearbox you are fitting in your mgb.
Regards John
- Fri Aug 23, 2024 8:47 am
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Mgb big end shells
- Replies: 3
- Views: 30216
Re: Mgb big end shells
Thanks Ian
I am taking the crank to be checked out. Incidentally This time around I am using Nural pistons, OE standard. Definitely not County. Saved £120, from Engineparts(UK), also supply ACL trimetal bearings, Vince, very helpful guy.
Thanks John
I am taking the crank to be checked out. Incidentally This time around I am using Nural pistons, OE standard. Definitely not County. Saved £120, from Engineparts(UK), also supply ACL trimetal bearings, Vince, very helpful guy.
Thanks John