Search found 21 matches
- Sun Nov 17, 2024 5:16 pm
- Forum: Parts For Sale/Wanted
- Topic: Engine Stand for Sale & Rotisserie
- Replies: 3
- Views: 13391
Re: Engine Stand for Sale
Where are you located ?
- Sat Nov 16, 2024 10:29 pm
- Forum: MGB General
- Topic: Unleaded fuel and hard valve seats
- Replies: 8
- Views: 79695
Re: Unleaded fuel and hard valve seats
Stripped the head today, and it turns out that the reason there is no exhaust valve wear, is because it is already fitted with non magnetic valve seats and valves ! No idea how long they have been fitted, but the seats are really good !
Makes a change to have something go my way !
Makes a change to have something go my way !
- Fri Nov 08, 2024 7:19 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Camshaft identification
- Replies: 6
- Views: 30758
Re: Camshaft identification
I suspect the only things you could do are to either just replace the one you have if it looks at all damaged or worn, or invest in some "V" blocks and measure lift and duration and compare with the standard MGB cam.
Piper cams are well worth fitting in my experience.
Ian F
I don't really want ...
- Fri Nov 08, 2024 1:23 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Camshaft identification
- Replies: 6
- Views: 30758
Re: Camshaft identification
I know the likes of Kent and Piper are marked, but I was hoping for some info on factory fit items, but it seems no info is available.
- Thu Nov 07, 2024 8:08 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: Camshaft identification
- Replies: 6
- Views: 30758
Camshaft identification
Is there any sort of resource where I can identify OE Factory camshafts ?
A series engines were marked I recall, but B series items appear to me unmarked.
A series engines were marked I recall, but B series items appear to me unmarked.
- Thu Nov 07, 2024 8:03 pm
- Forum: MGB General
- Topic: Engine parts suppliers.
- Replies: 2
- Views: 28433
Re: Engine parts suppliers.
Thanks Ian
I am down in Kent so Mr. Burgess is quite a way away.
I am primarily concerned with the quality of camshafts and followers, as these seem to be problematic. Rover V8s are a prime example, almost impossible to get anything worth having at a sensible price.
As there appears to be no easy ...
I am down in Kent so Mr. Burgess is quite a way away.
I am primarily concerned with the quality of camshafts and followers, as these seem to be problematic. Rover V8s are a prime example, almost impossible to get anything worth having at a sensible price.
As there appears to be no easy ...
- Tue Nov 05, 2024 8:01 pm
- Forum: MGB General
- Topic: Engine parts suppliers.
- Replies: 2
- Views: 28433
Engine parts suppliers.
I am in need of some engine parts. Looking round, there is a lot of variance in prices.
But as most stuff available is non genuine, I suspect most of it comes from the same places, and by my experience with other vehicles, a lot of it is carp, and made of the finest Chinesium.
Is there a favoured ...
But as most stuff available is non genuine, I suspect most of it comes from the same places, and by my experience with other vehicles, a lot of it is carp, and made of the finest Chinesium.
Is there a favoured ...
- Tue Nov 05, 2024 7:47 pm
- Forum: MGB Technical
- Topic: 18V engine questions .......
- Replies: 21
- Views: 98092
Re: 18V engine questions .......
The reason for doing this swap is mainly because the original engine is shot. Lowish compression on three cylinders, which did not improve with a wet test. It must have stood idle for a long time, as most "classic" cars do, one the novelty has worn off. There is rust staining on the cylinder walls ...
- Mon Nov 04, 2024 2:56 pm
- Forum: MGB General
- Topic: Unleaded fuel and hard valve seats
- Replies: 8
- Views: 79695
Re: Unleaded fuel and hard valve seats
Those "magic balls on a string" are absolutely no good at all. They're about as useful as a chocolate fireguard and a big con trick. Get the head done properly that's the only solution.
Whaaaaaaaat ? Surely not :lol: I have the brochure that came with the car, and they are guaranteed to work ...
- Mon Nov 04, 2024 1:15 am
- Forum: MGB General
- Topic: Unleaded fuel and hard valve seats
- Replies: 8
- Views: 79695
Re: Unleaded fuel and hard valve seats
It's worth bearing in mind that the parts that could potentially be eroded (valve seats( are the self same parts that are replaced in the unleaded conversion process.
I intend to wait if/ until any wear arises and then replace the valve seats. Given low mileages plus occasional shots of a lead ...