What is it with a certain type of person, they see an ad for a car, phone you, spend loads of time talking and they show huge amount of interest then arrange a viewing, on arrival go through all the paperwork go for a test drive enthuse all the while about the car, you then agree with them a price and “holding” deposit (wanted to pay cash on pick up)
Then you don’t see them or hear from them anymore!!
Ok so they lose the deposit (have not heard from them since so I guess they don’t want their money back!!, it’s been quite a while!!) but more importantly for me at least, it’s bloody annoying and I still have the car to sell with a lost opportunity.
Rant over.
Some People
- Steven collins
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 am
- Forename: Steve
- Surname: C
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: North Essex
Re: Some People
It's very annoying. I've had people do it to me with bikes as well. Usually Facebook Marketplace. Although everyone wants something for free on there.
Another annoying thing is when you go to buy a car and the current owner, who clearly has looked after the car, can't be bothered to make sure it's at least clean for the prospective owner. I've bought 2 recently that were like this. One was a Range Rover (from a private seller) which is destined to be a work horse for carrying mountain bikes anyway, so didn't matter about the interior. The other was a BMW touring for my eldest from a dealer on the other side of the country. We made them aware we were coming to see it and it was a 4 hour journey each way. Yet when we arrived the guy wasn't there and the car was absolutely bogging it still had a fridge in it. But it drove well and was in really good nick for the age. But it doesn't take more than an hour to give the vehicle a quick spruce up.
Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy
Another annoying thing is when you go to buy a car and the current owner, who clearly has looked after the car, can't be bothered to make sure it's at least clean for the prospective owner. I've bought 2 recently that were like this. One was a Range Rover (from a private seller) which is destined to be a work horse for carrying mountain bikes anyway, so didn't matter about the interior. The other was a BMW touring for my eldest from a dealer on the other side of the country. We made them aware we were coming to see it and it was a 4 hour journey each way. Yet when we arrived the guy wasn't there and the car was absolutely bogging it still had a fridge in it. But it drove well and was in really good nick for the age. But it doesn't take more than an hour to give the vehicle a quick spruce up.
Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy
Re: Some People
Steven, whilst I was selling my MG Midget I had some communication from someone "desperate" to buy it and suggesting unusual transaction process. Definitely a scam, so beware of folk doing anything out of the ordinary!Steven collins wrote: Thu Jul 10, 2025 8:31 pm What is it with a certain type of person, they see an ad for a car, phone you, spend loads of time talking and they show huge amount of interest then arrange a viewing, on arrival go through all the paperwork go for a test drive enthuse all the while about the car, you then agree with them a price and “holding” deposit (wanted to pay cash on pick up)
Then you don’t see them or hear from them anymore!!
Ok so they lose the deposit (have not heard from them since so I guess they don’t want their money back!!, it’s been quite a while!!) but more importantly for me at least, it’s bloody annoying and I still have the car to sell with a lost opportunity.
Rant over.
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
- Steven collins
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 am
- Forename: Steve
- Surname: C
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: North Essex
Re: Some People
Old and grumpy is good enough for me 
Thanks Ian, yes I am very cautious about things like that. He has not come back or enquired as to his monetary deposit he left so who knows what went on behind the scenes, all I know is I am slightly richer but still have this fabulous car to sell.
Thanks Ian, yes I am very cautious about things like that. He has not come back or enquired as to his monetary deposit he left so who knows what went on behind the scenes, all I know is I am slightly richer but still have this fabulous car to sell.