Its been so long since I stripped out the interior of my RB GT I cant remember how the seat belt receiver stalk fits around the side of the seats.
When I first put the seats back in the seat belt receivers got trapped between the seat and the transmission tunnel jamming the seat from moving forward.
The side trim of the seat backrest and a small plastic moulding there sticks out a bit. Should the seat belt receiver's stalk go under this or over it?
Seat belt receiver position on GT ?
-
Not_Anumber
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
- Forename: Chris
- Surname: S
- Location: UK
Seat belt receiver position on GT ?
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
Re: Seat belt receiver position on GT ?
Not much use to you I suppose, butI have this kind of classic belt, fitted from new. No problem of the kind you have encountered.
Ian F
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
-
Not_Anumber
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
- Forename: Chris
- Surname: S
- Location: UK
Re: Seat belt receiver position on GT ?
Thanks anyway. I've ordered a new pair of inertia reel belts from the Hive as one mechanism rattled and the other has a slightly damaged receiver casing.
The original driver's side belt receiver includes a microswitch to operate the seat belt warning light. I doubt the replacement will have that feature but it wasnt mandatory when the car was made and wont be missed.
The original driver's side belt receiver includes a microswitch to operate the seat belt warning light. I doubt the replacement will have that feature but it wasnt mandatory when the car was made and wont be missed.
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
- Charles Farran
- Posts: 498
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 am
- Forename: Charles
- Surname: Farran
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Warwickshire
Re: Seat belt receiver position on GT ?
The receiver stacks are a tight fit between the side of the seat & the transmission. The receiver socket sits under the adjustment leaver - see attached.
(I replaced my original deck chair style dressed seats with leather on same style frames).
Cheers, Charles
(I replaced my original deck chair style dressed seats with leather on same style frames).
Cheers, Charles
1980 Roadster
-
Not_Anumber
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
- Forename: Chris
- Surname: S
- Location: UK
Re: Seat belt receiver position on GT ?
Thanks Charles. That is just what i needed
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
Re: Seat belt receiver position on GT ?
I extended my stalks with a piece of stout flat steel bar about 4 inches long. I mean I bolted the steel to the belt mounting point and then used some proper seat belt bolts and nuts to attach the stalk to the bar. Makes a world of difference to the fit of the belt round your hips. It helps a bit with tipping the seat forward, but the belt socket still gets in the way. The rigid belt stalk really doesn't suit the MGB's tight cabin. A socket attached with belt webbing would work much better, as in Ian's post. But I like to have the inertia reel.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
-
Not_Anumber
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
- Forename: Chris
- Surname: S
- Location: UK
Re: Seat belt receiver position on GT ?
That adaption, moving the bolt point forward sounds really good.
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
Re: Seat belt receiver position on GT ?
Here is a photo of what I did. The steel bar is from Toolstation (https://www.toolstation.com/dual-coated ... ate/p14127). It is 3mm thick so is well able to take any loading that might be put on it. I had to slightly enlarge the holes to suit the belt bolts.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.