Restoration dilemma
Re: Restoration dilemma
Many thanks Ian and David - you both been very helpful - endoscope sounds a great idea.
Re: Restoration dilemma
Many thanks to everyone who posted on this thread - your advice was greatly appreciated. Just to update I found a local bodywork company with a good reputation just a short distance from where I live. I also spoke to a couple of people who'd taken their MGs there and they had been very pleased with the results. There was a long waiting list so the car will be going in next month. It probably goes without saying that my original restoration budget has already been blown, but there are very few of these early cars left now.
-
Randy Forbes
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:02 am
- Forename: Randy
- Surname: Forbes
Re: Restoration dilemma
Paul,
Very happy to hear you've found a near-local shop to handle this work for you, and another early MGB will be saved!
I did essentially all the work yours needs on GHN3L/978__a really early one__back in the late 80s. It IS a formidable job, and I'm pleased to say that the gentleman (at least as of just a couple years ago) still owns and drives the MGB.
All the talk about starting a project that later gets abandoned struck a chord too, as I'm a good 2-3 yrs into rebuilding a rusted '67 MGB GT shell. While I've still a long way to go, I HAVE been making progress (currently having a little sit-down break from rebuilding/replacing the LH taillight sheetmetal).
I hope all goes well with your rebuild, and looking forward to more positive (encouragement, and...) updates
Very happy to hear you've found a near-local shop to handle this work for you, and another early MGB will be saved!
I did essentially all the work yours needs on GHN3L/978__a really early one__back in the late 80s. It IS a formidable job, and I'm pleased to say that the gentleman (at least as of just a couple years ago) still owns and drives the MGB.
All the talk about starting a project that later gets abandoned struck a chord too, as I'm a good 2-3 yrs into rebuilding a rusted '67 MGB GT shell. While I've still a long way to go, I HAVE been making progress (currently having a little sit-down break from rebuilding/replacing the LH taillight sheetmetal).
I hope all goes well with your rebuild, and looking forward to more positive (encouragement, and...) updates
-
RumpledinkieVintageWorkshop
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2026 2:04 pm
- Forename: Derek
- Surname: Harper
Re: Restoration dilemma
The cost of replacing panels on a MGB is crazy now, if the panels can be saved it will save a small fortune. I made a video recently discussing the cost of replacement panels and cost to repair, saved just short of £5000 by repairing the panels, rust cut out, new panels handmade using basic tools and skills, then welded in. It doesnt account for labour as I done the work myself.
https://youtu.be/J9e4RLFypK8?si=2n0NyATbsI2Yn417
https://youtu.be/J9e4RLFypK8?si=2n0NyATbsI2Yn417
1968 MGB GT
1968 Austin minor pick up
1979 MGB Roadster
1994 MG RV8
1968 Austin minor pick up
1979 MGB Roadster
1994 MG RV8