SU fuel pumps ?

General MGB discussion
Post Reply
Not_Anumber
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
Forename: Chris
Surname: S
Location: UK

SU fuel pumps ?

Post by Not_Anumber »

The original SU fuel pump from my GT is surplus as I now have an intank pump.

Are these at all desirable 2nd hand to make it worth cleaning up and putting on Ebay or are the original SU pumps regarded as old hat with people instead opting for modern solid state pumps such as Facet if they need a replacement ?
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
User avatar
Steven collins
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 am
Forename: Steve
Surname: C
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: North Essex

Re: SU fuel pumps ?

Post by Steven collins »

I still have my SU pump on my ‘66 quite happy with it - if it isn’t broke don’t fix it - so in my opinion yes it is worth refurbishing.
User avatar
Charles Farran
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 am
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: Warwickshire

Re: SU fuel pumps ?

Post by Charles Farran »

I'm with Steve on this as i still have my original SU pump on my 1980 MGB - with the added advantage that the later cars have the pump
partly within the boot & therefore not so exposed to the elements with the points accessible in the boot behind the metal cover.
Cheers,Charles
1980 Roadster
Not_Anumber
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
Forename: Chris
Surname: S
Location: UK

Re: SU fuel pumps ?

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks. I cleaned it up and put it on Ebay where it has already began to gain several views and a watcher.

I had thought for a while of retaining the SU pump to feed a small swirl pot tank that in turn would feed a high pressure pump but then heard from others that setup could be relatively noisy. In the end I grasped the nettle and cut a hole in the top of the tank to fit an in tank pump
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
Post Reply