Boot Racks

General MGB discussion
Ruabon Red
Forename: David
Surname: Hughes

Boot Racks

Post by Ruabon Red » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:51 am

Morning all, I'm looking to change from a Paddy Hopkirk boot rack to the all chrome original type - without changing my boot lid.

Does anyone have any experience of having done so, and know whether the fixing holes are the same?

Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: Boot Racks

Post by Peter Cresswell » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:40 pm

There are really only 2 types of boot racks - the clamp-on type, which can have wooden slats or metal bars and all metal bolt on type, which requires the boot lid to be drilled and the rack bolted on. This second type is really a permanent rack although of course it can be unbolted and the bolts replaced to fill up the holes. Alternatively you can use a separate boot lid and swap them as needed. Beware though that the second type will mark the paintwork.
You can see and get more info on the racks from here: https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... boot-racks , but many places do sell them.

A different idea is to use a boot-bag. These are like a waterproof holdall that fastens to the boot lid with straps and a non scratch pad to protect the paint. I have on of these and found it to be great. Another advantage is you don't have to buy a waterproof bag to fit onto one of the above racks. I got mine direct from https://www.boot-bag.com/
Here is what it looks like in use:
SDC14878A.JPG
A big advantage is that it can be squashed down so you can still see whats behind you in the interior mirror.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2011 MG 6 TSE Magnette
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 32 other cars since 1965

Ruabon Red
Forename: David
Surname: Hughes

Post by Ruabon Red » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:35 pm

Thanks Peter, I have one of these bolted to my boot now
Paddy Hopkirk.JPG
Paddy Hopkirk.JPG (18.42 KiB) Viewed 856 times
..and wish to take it off and fit one of these instead.
Chrome bootrack.JPG
Chrome bootrack.JPG (18.22 KiB) Viewed 856 times
That's why I was asking about fixing centres, as hopefully the exisitng holes can either be re-used or covered in the process.

Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:37 pm

If you don't get a reply on here from someone who has one of the rack shown in your second picture I would suggest you contact Moss via their web site:
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/contacts
Use the drop down arrow in the Subject box and select Technical Question. Then complete the form with your information etc. I have found them to be very good, but at the moment they might take a little bit of time to reply.
Hope this helps.
Pete
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2011 MG 6 TSE Magnette
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 32 other cars since 1965