Factory record copy Personal Export Delivery

General MGB discussion
Remyd
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois

Factory record copy Personal Export Delivery

Post by Remyd »

Got my certificate today, interestingly the engine number is completely different from the one in the MG. I also found out that it was a P.E.D.
I understand that was a scheme with which tourist or foreign military personnel could buy and MG and pick it up straight from the factory to avoid taxation
Would anyone know if it is possible to find out who was the first owner with this?
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Re: Factory record copy Personal Export Delivery

Post by Tom Brearley »

Mine was PED to Bavaria originally. There's some info in the BL Passport to Service which came with the car.
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf
Remyd

Post by Remyd »

I don't think mine left england, it was first registered in Birmingham. I might write to the DVLA to see if I can find out who the previous owners where.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Randy Forbes
Forename: Randy
Surname: Forbes

Post by Randy Forbes »

Tom Brearley wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:25 pm Mine was PED to Bavaria originally. There's some info in the BL Passport to Service which came with the car.
I think my '67 MGB GT traveled a similar route; BMIHT certificate declares Personal Export Delivery, USA. I do have a German logbook that (more or less proves...) it remained in Germany into 1988. The last (USAF) base parking sticker was issued in July 1995, so a good 27+ years in service (I feel it was left to rot thereafter).

I acquired it last August (2020) in very rusty, but VERY COMPLETE & ORIGINAL condition. My intention is to return it faithfully to its showroom condition__refraining from any performance/comfort modifications (as I've done with every other MGB I've ever had).

I've been collecting some of the harder to find parts, but I am wondering how I could possibly renovate this (the German VIN plate)...
jw-05.jpg
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Post by Tom Brearley »

Nice to have that degree of background on your car. I've just restored mine to factory spec so I approve of your direction of travel.

A rub with a maroon Scotchbrite pad and a little WD40 often removes a surprising amount of rust. But rust remover gel might also work well?

Tom
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Remyd wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 am I don't think mine left england, it was first registered in Birmingham. I might write to the DVLA to see if I can find out who the previous owners where.
Remy - Since the introduction of GPRS, the DVLA won't provide the information about previous owners.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Remyd

Post by Remyd »

Oh well, never mind. Interesting information anyway!
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT