Technical MGB discussion
Ian Fozzard
Forename: Ian
Surname: Fozzard

Re: 73 MGB GT restoration

Post by Ian Fozzard » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi Harry,
just a brief reply this time:

# I have two blocks, one that just fits in the palm (hard rubber) and a larger one which is about 8" x 4" from memory (don't have it in front of me to measure it). This one is sized to take the standard wet and dry sheets when folded and torn to size. I could really have done with a longer one as well to use on the larger flatter areas to avoid putting waves/ripples into the finish. For the very curved areas like the tops of the wings I use my hand with no block, making sure to sand in long even strokes with the wet and dry curved around the shape of the panel.

# not such good news about the sill! I would guess that if the outer sill has not been repaired properly you may well find that you need to do the diaphragm sill, castle section and possibly the inner sill as well. This will mean removing both wings, and quite a bit of welding. All very straightforward but will take you some time and need some care. I did both sides on my BGT and put 5 panels on each side including the jacking point.

That's about it for now!

Best of luck with it,

IanF
Hazza1190
Forename: Harry
Surname: Bukin

Post by Hazza1190 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi Ian,

What was the larger sanding block made out of? I cant see any that are longer than about 5/6 inches? Can you remember where you know where you got your one from?

Yeah its a bit of a shame, but it will be some good experience nevertheless! That was the main reason behind this car really, i wanted to push myself a little bit as it will be my first restoration! Did you use the steelcraft kit or a heritage kit?

Kind Regards,
Harry.
Ian Fozzard

Post by Ian Fozzard » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi Harry. You need to find your local motor factor or autopaint supplier! They will undoubtedly have a range of sanding blocks/flatbed Sanders for use in vehicle body shops. Mine has no name on it but is plastic with metal clips at either end to hold the paper.
I bought my panels just as required as I went along, and got them from Moss.
Ideally you should get your equipment and consumables from a professional body shop supplier, including the wet and dry paper. The quality of the stuff you use really will make all the difference to the ease of use and the quality of the finish.

IanF
Ian Fozzard

Post by Ian Fozzard » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:17 pm

Bosch 2608601218 Hand Sanding Block Set, Black, 160 x 85 mm

Harry - this Bosch item is very similar to the larger one I have, available from Amazon.

Frost automotive do several sets of long bed Sanders etc. but I always find their prices a bit steep!

IanF