Oil cooler piping

Technical MGB discussion
Post Reply
Dave Wheatley
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:55 pm
Forename: Dave
Surname: Wheatley
Location: SW Scotland

Oil cooler piping

Post by Dave Wheatley »

On an oil change today I have oveerfilled the sump by about an inch above the full mark and am considering the various options to drain some of the oil. I've done the reundoing the drain plug before and managed to loose the lot, so that's out. Looking at the oil cooler return pipe to the rear of the engine ( 1978 car), that looks like a possibility.
Does anybody know if the union is undone, if there would be access with a pipe to the sump contents. If so I have good suction pump to get the excess oil out, I don't want to disturb the union before undoing it until I know.
Thanks, Dave
1978 MGB GT
1967 Morris Minor convertible
1972 Ford Cortina
2000 Mercedese Benz SLK 230K
No modern!
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Oil cooler piping

Post by Ian F »

I would just run it and check that nothing untoward is happening.
Leaks, foaming etc.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Dave Wheatley
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:55 pm
Forename: Dave
Surname: Wheatley
Location: SW Scotland

Re: Oil cooler piping

Post by Dave Wheatley »

Hi Ian. I did think about doing that, but I thought the oil level was too high. The car doesn't use any oil, so it would take a long time before the level would get down.
1978 MGB GT
1967 Morris Minor convertible
1972 Ford Cortina
2000 Mercedese Benz SLK 230K
No modern!
Vic Butler
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:07 pm
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: North West Hampshire

Re: Oil cooler piping

Post by Vic Butler »

When I did that I used a syringe with tubing pushed down the dipstick tube and sucked the excess out.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Not_Anumber
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
Forename: Chris
Surname: S
Location: UK

Re: Oil cooler piping

Post by Not_Anumber »

It could be worth loosening the oil filter to drain the excess out that way. The thread on the oil filter is longer than that on the sump plug so you would be able to get a more controllable flow of oil
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
Dave Wheatley
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:55 pm
Forename: Dave
Surname: Wheatley
Location: SW Scotland

Re: Oil cooler piping

Post by Dave Wheatley »

Vic. I've tried that but the size of the tube that I can get down the dipstick hole is very small and the oil is thicker now that the engine is cold.
Not_ANumber. Possibility except that my car has the upward facing oil filterand it would several goes to get enough oil out. Very messy.
1978 MGB GT
1967 Morris Minor convertible
1972 Ford Cortina
2000 Mercedese Benz SLK 230K
No modern!
User avatar
Charles Farran
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 am
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Oil cooler piping

Post by Charles Farran »

I reckon the least messy way is to drain the sump into a clean container & then refill with the evacuated oil , perhaps after sieving it to ensure no sludge or metal particles are reintroduced!
The rear oil cooler pipe union is best left well alone , until it's replacement is required
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Dave Wheatley
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:55 pm
Forename: Dave
Surname: Wheatley
Location: SW Scotland

Re: Oil cooler piping

Post by Dave Wheatley »

After warming up the engine, I've just undone the flexible pressure gauge pipe at the bulkhead and restarted directing the small flow from the pressure pipe into a container. I've taken a litre out and the dipstick level is now 1/4 inch above the max level. Oil pressure was at 50 psi during this operation against a normal running pressure of 70 psi. Hopefully no damage done,
Thanks for all replies
Dave
1978 MGB GT
1967 Morris Minor convertible
1972 Ford Cortina
2000 Mercedese Benz SLK 230K
No modern!
Post Reply