Parabolic Springs

Technical MGB discussion
Post Reply
Johnharris
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2024 9:31 pm
Forename: John
Surname: Harris
MGOC Member: Yes

Parabolic Springs

Post by Johnharris »

Rebuilt my 1973 roadster over the course of last year after purchase. New front and rear suspension included. The rear suspension fitted with parabolic springs and Gaz dampers. Very bouncy - low damping setting on Gaz dampers (3 to 5), very stiff and jittery when set higher ( 6-10 ). Really regretting this experiment. Terrible ride compared to my V8 on leaf springs and Gaz dampers. The rear end skits over bumps in a corner very badly.

First set of parabolics from one of the big suppliers - very different ride heights either side and when taken off, one spring with a very different curvature to the other.

Current set from MGOC - who when asked recommended upping the damping to control the bounce - which makes sense, but now very jittery.

Bushed correctly. Lower damper connection correct. Ride height correct. Double checked the part numbers for the car. It is not the front upsetting the rear either. The front is 350lb springs and leaver arm dampers with adjustable valves and 3/4 inch anti roll bar. The car has done 4000 miles since installation including a trip to the South of France. Rear suspension the only issue.

Any ideas before I revert to leaf springs.

I cannot say I was not warned in advance by two highly regarded MGB restoration and engineering establishments who have done work on the V8 for me.
1974 MGB GT V8 - 3.9, 5 Spd, Panhard rod, camber and valve adjustable lever arm front dampers
1973 MGB Roadster - camber and valve adjustable lever arm front dampers, 3.7:1 rear axle
Not_Anumber
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
Forename: Chris
Surname: S
Location: UK

Re: Parabolic Springs

Post by Not_Anumber »

I keep seeing references to parabolic springs and wished i could help. Are 'parabolic' springs basically an alternative leaf spring with a single leaf rather than multiple leaves. anchored at the same points as the originals ?

If so the classic Ford community has been using the things for many years where they are regarded very favourably so long as they are properly made and heat tempered and matched in pairs. If they are the same thing then the same rules would apply to them on MGBs
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
Johnharris
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2024 9:31 pm
Forename: John
Surname: Harris
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Parabolic Springs

Post by Johnharris »

Indeed they are the same type of springs and generally they are will thought of on MGB's.

However, for whatever reason, both the pair from Moss and the recent pair from MGOC are both extremely bouncy, to the point of being bounced out of my seat, and very jittery/bouncy when more damping is applied.

At the moment I can only think that either, despite the part numbers on them being correct, they are really GT springs or the manufacturing process has gone wrong.

Without any obvious way forward or input from this forum I am returning to leaf springs.
1974 MGB GT V8 - 3.9, 5 Spd, Panhard rod, camber and valve adjustable lever arm front dampers
1973 MGB Roadster - camber and valve adjustable lever arm front dampers, 3.7:1 rear axle
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Parabolic Springs

Post by Ian F »

I had always understood that parabolic springs were more "compliant" than the standard.
They are often fitted to Series Land Rovers to soften the ride - which is very firm.
To be more compliant I would think they have to be softer, at least in the initial phases of bending, but then becoming firmer towards the end of the travel. I can see how this would detrimentally affect the ride of an MGB.
I have standard good quality OE springs on my BGT, and adjustable telescopic dampers - these are set at their softest setting. This provides an ideal compromise for me. If I set the dampers to a firm setting then the back end does become very "jittery" and the handling/roadholding suffers.
I believe the ideal for these cars, and similar, is a firm front, well controlled with an arb, and a softer rear. This can be achieved with standard leaf springs as far as I can see.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Johnharris
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2024 9:31 pm
Forename: John
Surname: Harris
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Parabolic Springs

Post by Johnharris »

Ian

Indeed, it was an experiment as I had noted comments that parabolic springs were better, so at the point of rebuild I thought I would try them. My V8 has leaf springs and Gaz dampers, set as you say, and it is great.

Back to leaf springs, failed experiment !
1974 MGB GT V8 - 3.9, 5 Spd, Panhard rod, camber and valve adjustable lever arm front dampers
1973 MGB Roadster - camber and valve adjustable lever arm front dampers, 3.7:1 rear axle
Mrbenn
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:15 pm
Forename: Ben
Surname: Norley
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Parabolic Springs

Post by Mrbenn »

It maybe a stupid question but are the definately roadster springs not GT ones? Friend of mine has parabolic springs in his roadster and they feel fine. I replaced the leaf springs on my other B last year but they were a lot firmer and I noticed I'd ordered some for a GT rather than a roadster.
Johnharris
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2024 9:31 pm
Forename: John
Surname: Harris
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Parabolic Springs

Post by Johnharris »

I will go and check again, the part number on it corresponds to roadster springs.

Will report back later after a further check
1974 MGB GT V8 - 3.9, 5 Spd, Panhard rod, camber and valve adjustable lever arm front dampers
1973 MGB Roadster - camber and valve adjustable lever arm front dampers, 3.7:1 rear axle
Johnharris
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2024 9:31 pm
Forename: John
Surname: Harris
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Parabolic Springs

Post by Johnharris »

Definitely C/B parabolic springs for a roadster - never ever again, just ordered a set of leaf springs
1974 MGB GT V8 - 3.9, 5 Spd, Panhard rod, camber and valve adjustable lever arm front dampers
1973 MGB Roadster - camber and valve adjustable lever arm front dampers, 3.7:1 rear axle
Post Reply