Roadster rear window plastic

Technical MGB discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
Steven collins
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 am
Forename: Steve
Surname: C
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: North Essex

Roadster rear window plastic

Post by Steven collins »

Put the hood up on the B for the first time in ages and found that the rear plastic ? Window is very buckled.
Has any one any ideas as to how or whether it is even possible to straighten out.
Any (sensible) suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Not_Anumber
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
Forename: Chris
Surname: S
Location: UK

Re: Roadster rear window plastic

Post by Not_Anumber »

Gentle heat from a hair drier or fan heater
Will help but careful not to overdo it
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
User avatar
Steven collins
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 am
Forename: Steve
Surname: C
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: North Essex

Re: Roadster rear window plastic

Post by Steven collins »

I had thought of that but was quite hesitant to try but there again no pain no gain.
Thank you for replying, will let you know how it get in.
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Roadster rear window plastic

Post by Ian F »

The packaway hood on my Midget is obviously different, but the materials will be similar.
In cold weather I assemble the hood as best I can on the car, and then leave a fan heater inside to get it quite warm. This is the only way to get it to fit. Not a window problem, but the approach might help the window back into shape.
When stowing the hood I am very careful not to fold the three plastic windows. I fold the two side windows inwards and then roll up the whole thing - not too tight!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
User avatar
Steven collins
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 am
Forename: Steve
Surname: C
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: North Essex

Re: Roadster rear window plastic

Post by Steven collins »

I actually have an original pack away frame for the B and have been contemplating putting it back on the B that way the hood would be better stored/protected as it does not really get used much.
Anyway onwards and upwards, hopefully later this week I will try and get those wrinkles out of the plastic- wondering if it might help those wrinkles that have appeared on me over the time ☺️
Post Reply