Good afternoon,
My GT is oil pressure is running high, 60 at idle and 80 when hot and running, close to 100 when cold.
I am planning on changing the valve and spring, i just wanted confirmation on which bolt is the one for the valve on the picture. Top or Bottom?
Thank you in advance,
Remy
Oil pressure valve indentification.
- Remyd
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
- Forename: Remy
- Surname: Dubois
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Buckingham
Oil pressure valve indentification.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
1971 MGB GT
- Charles Farran
- Posts: 498
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 am
- Forename: Charles
- Surname: Farran
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Warwickshire
Re: Oil pressure valve indentification.
Hi Remy,
Its the bottom one with the domed head.
When you remove it mark the dome so you can see where the thread starts
to bite without the spring in, as the assembly is a pain to get back in when
working against the strength of the spring to find the "start point"!
Cheers,
Charles
Its the bottom one with the domed head.
When you remove it mark the dome so you can see where the thread starts
to bite without the spring in, as the assembly is a pain to get back in when
working against the strength of the spring to find the "start point"!
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
- Remyd
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
- Forename: Remy
- Surname: Dubois
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Buckingham
Re: Oil pressure valve indentification.
Hi Charles,
Thank you for confirming which one it was.
I just tried to have a go at undoing it just to see if it would come out easily. Luckily, I managed to find a 1 inch socket and breaker bar but it won't budge. My thinking is to give it a clean and a spray of WD-40 and see if that works. I need to order to replacement parts too.
Thank you for confirming which one it was.
I just tried to have a go at undoing it just to see if it would come out easily. Luckily, I managed to find a 1 inch socket and breaker bar but it won't budge. My thinking is to give it a clean and a spray of WD-40 and see if that works. I need to order to replacement parts too.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
1971 MGB GT
- Charles Farran
- Posts: 498
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 am
- Forename: Charles
- Surname: Farran
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Warwickshire
Re: Oil pressure valve indentification.
MGBHive have a replacement relief valve & spring kit 12H865BK.
Cheers,Charles
Cheers,Charles
1980 Roadster
Re: Oil pressure valve indentification.
Just to mention that WD-40 is not a penetrating oil, it is a water displacer. Buy a proper penetrating oil spray for best results.Remyd wrote: Mon Jul 14, 2025 4:08 pm Hi Charles,
Thank you for confirming which one it was.
I just tried to have a go at undoing it just to see if it would come out easily. Luckily, I managed to find a 1 inch socket and breaker bar but it won't budge. My thinking is to give it a clean and a spray of WD-40 and see if that works. I need to order to replacement parts too.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
- Remyd
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
- Forename: Remy
- Surname: Dubois
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Buckingham
Re: Oil pressure valve indentification.
Matter resolved,
Taking the spring and valve out was easy, putting the new one in was a PITA!
At least I could access it from the top but it still took quite a few goes and chosen words to get it in.
Oil pressure down from 80 to 60 whilst idling cold and 80 underload.
Thank you again for the advices.
Taking the spring and valve out was easy, putting the new one in was a PITA!
At least I could access it from the top but it still took quite a few goes and chosen words to get it in.
Oil pressure down from 80 to 60 whilst idling cold and 80 underload.
Thank you again for the advices.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
1971 MGB GT