Assembling Rear Suspension

Technical MGB discussion
Post Reply
mgb66
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:46 pm
Forename: Carl
Surname: Scarlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Assembling Rear Suspension

Post by mgb66 »

I've mounted the rear axle onto the new springs, but I can't get the spring to flatten out enough to be able to connect the drop links to the shocks.

I've tried jacking up the spring and it gets closer but the car lifts as well, so not getting close enough. I've also put the wheels on and lowered the car to the ground, but there doesn't seem to be enough weight to flatten the springs enough.

Currently the body shell only has the rear springs/axle and front crossmember connected, plus some spare wheels in the boot - do I need to wait until I've more weight in the car?

The springs are new and the shackles are currently pointing forwards, which I know is wrong, but appears to be common with new springs - all bolts are currently loose to allow movement.

Pictures attached of the current situation, advice appreciated.

The attachment 20250728_164619.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
20250728_164619.jpg
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Assembling Rear Suspension

Post by Ian F »

This is a frequently encountered problem fitting springs to a bare bodyshell. Two suggestions might help:

# get hold some heavy items and load up the boot with the axle on axle stands. Concrete slabs or some well nourished friends.

# buy a couple of heavy duty ratchet straps if you can devise a way of pulling the axle up towards the body. Finding somewhere on the body might be tricky

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Assembling Rear Suspension

Post by Ian F »

Did you get anywhere fitting those springs?

Ian G
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Post Reply