ARB Links are Handed - a reminder

Technical MGB discussion
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

ARB Links are Handed - a reminder

Post by Charles Farran »

Guys,
I'm sure all the experts on this site are well aware of this, but I thought it might be worth posting this up!
During my shake down runs in April following refurbishing the rear suspension & also changing the front ARB bushes for Poly from original rubber to match the rear i became increasingly aware of clunking at the front on bad road surfaces. (I had managed to ease off the old rubber ones & replace with the new by simply pulling off & pushing the new ones on as they come with a split, rather than having to separate the ARB from the links & slide them along). I jacked the car up & checked the torques of the various front suspension components. A closer examination of the ball joint where the link meets the spring pan showed the rubber to be torn on the Offside. (I had these links changed by a garage some 11 years ago when the front suspension was completely renewed by them with parts I had sourced. It appears that when they put it together, they put the links on the wrong way round as they are handed LH & RH with the metal rectangle through which the link bolt protrudes being angled to match the particular lower arm. As a consequence, the link bolts are hard up against the sides of the "ball" & one of the cups at the top of the link has got bent, presumably due to the tension the ARB has been under never mind the occasional jolt from a pot hole on our roads!
I have replacement links + new ARB eye bushes on order & fortunately have been able to remove the existing links, without having to resort to using a hacksaw to cut the bottom ball joint bolts off!
I had been aware of some vibration in the steering, since changing the bushes within the straps to poly which, being harder than the old rubber ones, possibly didn't soak up the jarring of the incorrectly installed links. Hopefully this issue as well as the clunking will have gone away once i have put on the new links & eye bushes.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Ian Fozzard
Forename: Ian
Surname: Fozzard

Re: ARB Links are Handed - a reminder

Post by Ian Fozzard »

Thanks Charles, a useful reminder!

Ian F
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Re: ARB Links are Handed - a reminder

Post by Charles Farran »

20210427_164506.jpg
20210427_164506.jpg
I meant to post up a picture of the links i removed earlier. The one on the right (or top) is in fact the RH link that was installed on the left side (looking towards the front of the car (passenger in UK car) & vice versa. You can see that the link bolts have been forced in the wrong direction when they were on the car & the twisting of the cups at the other end.
Apologies, but for some reason i posted the same photo twice.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster