Stainless wheel-nuts for Minators

Technical MGB discussion
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss

Stainless wheel-nuts for Minators

Post by Allan T »

Has anyone found stainless steel nuts for Minator wheels? They need to be smaller than the standard RoStyle nuts, to leave room to fit and remove them without scratching the wheels. The garage fitted mild steel nuts, and they're rusting, and look terrible after about a year.

The stainless nuts on the old RoStyle wheels looked fine after more than twenty years, though the wheels themselves were well past it.
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Re: Stainless wheel-nuts for Minators

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi Allan,

I have Minator wheels on my Roadster & changed the supplied nuts to stainless steel in early 2014.
I obtained mine from MGOC spares ref W660A AHH9152S. They fit well with "plenty of turns" on the studs & have had no problems with them scratching the wheels. (I do take care when using the wheel brace , which is the type that has a bar that extends to take nuts off, with a removable socket (like one from a socket set which is also slimmer than the original car brace) so i can also use the brace for additional leverage for other fittings).

Cheers,
Charles
Attachments
20210704_142638.jpg
20210704_142559.jpg
1980 Roadster
Allan T

Post by Allan T »

That's what I'd call an informed recommendation Charles - even down to matching the colour of my car, from the looks of it.

Many thanks indeed for your helpful and speedy response.

Allan
Allan T

Post by Allan T »

The Club was out of the plain nuts with no re-stocking date, so after checking they'd fit Minators I ordered the alternatives with the MG logo.

In real life, it's less conspicuous than in the pictures online. I fitted them this afternoon.

Thanks once more Charles.

Allan
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

That's good news Allan. I had the chromed version with MG logos on when i had my ro-styles on the car which made a nice touch although like the originals they were not very hard wearing !
Post up a picture if you can .
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi
If the wheel nuts are standard MGB ones then a spark plug spanner socket from a socket set will fit and might help avoid damaging the wheels. It is longer so fits all the way on the nut so helps avoid damage to the nut.
Mike Barclay
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

I use a 13/16 " AF socket & wrench as per photo.
Cheers, Charles
20210711_180935.jpg
1980 Roadster
Allan T

Post by Allan T »

Apologies for the slow follow-up, the wheels were a bit too dusty when I photographed them last weekend and vanity ruled-out posting, and I've only just got back to it. I use an extending wheel wrench too, with the 21mm socket for these nuts. And a spark plug socket fits them, and the extra depth is indeed helpful. This angle probably tells the story best, because it shows the very tactful MG logo, and how the nuts sit 3-D-wise with the Minators. Thanks again for the information, everyone.

Allan

Minators_5315.jpg
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Allan ,
Thanks for posting these up -they look good.
I note, unless i am mistaken that you are using 15 inch & also 185/65 Toyo tyres ?
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Allan T

Post by Allan T »

That's correct Charles, I switched to them about a year ago. I'd been hanging-on to my old o/e 14" ROStyles for much too long really, hoping either someone would come up with a reliable restoration method, or new ones would become available. By modern standards the tyres were in urgent need of replacement - plenty of tread left, but too old - so it was a good time to take the plunge. The speedo under-reads a bit now, an indicated 65mph is an actual 70mph, which it's worth remembering. Otherwise, all's very satisfactory. I thought at first I'd dropped mpg with the change, til it dawned that was a result of travelling at about 76mph rather than 70mph.

Allan