K & N Filter remove and refit tips?

Technical MGB discussion
SteveH1960
Forename: Steve
Surname: Hankins

K & N Filter remove and refit tips?

Post by SteveH1960 »

The previous, or even, pre - previous owner of my car fitted the K & N Filter kit G210 from the MGOC by the looks of it.

As I have no idea of when it was installed, or last cleaned and oiled I guess I should do this as a matter of course.

I assume the K & N filter clean and oil kits from the likes of Halfords are what I need, however how much oil do I use?

It also looks a bit of a faff to remove and refit, any tips would be good.

Cheers

Steve
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott

Re: K & N Filter remove and refit tips?

Post by Paul Scott »

Hi Steve,
I have those fitted to my B. Not too dificult to remove just make sure you do it slowly & catch everything inside the filters. Mine has 4 distancing collars on the bolts inbetween the MG Panel and the carb backing plated.

I fitted some rubber o rings on the bolts after they come through the carb backing plates. Just enough to stop the bolts dropping out and keeping everything in place for refitting.

I hope that small piece if info helps.

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: Silk

Post by Not_Anumber »

Does anyone make K&N filter inserts for the original cans I wonder ? Ideally Id like to keep to the look of the existing painted metal airboxes but with the function and sound of K&Ns.
Ian Fozzard
Forename: Ian
Surname: Fozzard

Post by Ian Fozzard »

Strangely enough, K&N make them!!😄😄

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/e-2400-repl ... air-filter

They are said to fit straight into the original tin boxes, but I can't vouch for that. I have them fitted with the alloy plate, and they certainly look like the same size as the original elements.

Ian F
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Robert Dickinson
Forename: Robert
Surname: *

Post by Robert Dickinson »

Notanumber
Hi I have these fitted in the cans no problem, they are a little quieter in the cans than open with the alloy plates.
Ian Fozzard
Forename: Ian
Surname: Fozzard

Post by Ian Fozzard »

To give a bit more of a reply to Steve's original request I can offer the following:

The kits for cleaning are available on line, look around for the best price as they are quite expensive. Full instructions are included. I bought mine years ago and have used it once!!

Assuming you have the alloy "MG" embossed plate type, be careful when refitting everything. Get the filters centred and don't overtighten - they can distort.

After cleaning mine thoroughly with the cleaning agent I simply wetted them until the whole surface was coloured with the oil. Good instructions, easily followed. You won't have to do it again for a very long time.

Ian F
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
SteveH1960
Forename: Steve
Surname: Hankins

Post by SteveH1960 »

Thanks for the replies, this is one of many jobs to do.