cooling fan sensor fitting

Technical MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: Silk

cooling fan sensor fitting

Post by Not_Anumber »

On my 1979 B the fan sensor (in the top of the radiator) moves out quite a bit when the engine gets up to temperature. Is this just the seal that needs replacing or should it have a retaining clip ?
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: cooling fan sensor fitting

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Chris,
It depends on your chassis number. Up to GHN/D 511290 there was just a sealing ring. From GHN/D 511291 onwards there was also a clip.
See this extract from the Moss Catalogue
Fan Sensors.jpg
Parts 4 and 5 are for the earlier cars, and 2,3 and 6 are for later cars. There was also a change of radiator at the same time.
Pete
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi Chris,
We covered this issue as part of the thread "Thermal switch (URP1126) in May 2021!
If you look at the comments made on 11th & 12th of May that should help. (As i think you have a 1979 car, depending on build time it maybe pre or post the change which may of course also be affected by any change of radiator by a PO who might have fitted an earlier or later radiator & not matched it with the correct otterswitch /sealing grommet / spring clip / bodged it) !
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi Chris,
With apologies to Peter , but parts 4 & 5 are for the later cars & not the earlier ones which are 2 & 3.
20210411_121031.jpg
Photo shows the later versions as fitted to my car (these are my spares) to which should be added the clip (part 6 in Peter's post) to hold it all in place.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: Silk

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks. Sorry I didnt realise this had just been covered in another thread. One search I hadnt tried was 'thermal switch' :)