MGB automatic

Technical MGB discussion
brincooke
Forename: Brin
Surname: Cooke

MGB automatic

Post by brincooke »

For health reasons I'm considering having my 1972 Roadster converted to automatic and power assisted steering. I'd welcome any advice, past experience or other comments to assist and advise me. I have full confidence in the knowledge and skills those who will actually do the necessary engineering.
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott

Re: MGB automatic

Post by Paul Scott »

Hi Brin,
Welcome to the forum.

I don't want to turn you away from the forum but I would like to ask are you on Facebook?

There is a chap within our facebook group Victor Strugnell who is very knowledgeable on the bits you are talking about.

I have sent a message to Victor, I will let you know if anything comes back.

StaySafe

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
ChargedAutoGT
Forename: Graham
Surname: Moore

Post by ChargedAutoGT »

you will struggle to find all of the parts. the ring gear is pretty hard to find (tho there is one on ebay at the moment) as are the spacers for the flexplate, and kickdown bracket. That's if you are going down the BW35 route.

the zf4 HP22 is a 4 speed auto with lock up torque convertor and there are a couple of companies who supply and fit for the triumph stag.

depends on your driving style and how much you drive as to if it would be better for you.

But buying an auto instead is quite practical, there are a few up for sale now and again.
brincooke
Forename: Brin
Surname: Cooke

Post by brincooke »

Many thanks for your helpful replies to my post. Because I've had the B from new I'd rather not buy an auto to replace it!

You are right about difficulties in sourcing an auto gearbox so we have decided to remove and store the present engine and gearbox and fit an MX5 engine and auto gearbox. The process could be reversed in the future to re-authenticate the car!
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: Silk

Post by Not_Anumber »

That sounds like a great and practical solution
ChargedAutoGT
Forename: Graham
Surname: Moore

Post by ChargedAutoGT »

will you be fitting it yourself? that's a conversion that i'd be very interested in hearing more of.