US spec dual circuit master cylinder pipe fittings

Technical MGB discussion
Post Reply
whitestu
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:10 pm
Forename: stu
Surname: white

US spec dual circuit master cylinder pipe fittings

Post by whitestu »

Does anyone know what the pipe fitting sizes are in the early dual circuit non servo MC? The part number is GMC235. Looks like both outlets are very big but the rear one has an adapter in to make it smaller. It's the same as this one https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GMC235

I checked the smaller outlet with the adapter and 3/8unf fits it. The bigger threaded hole is I think 5/8" - guessing UNF, but I can't seem to find a 5/8" to 3/8" unf adapter anywhere.

Did the US spec MGBs of this age use 3/8" brake pipe for the front brakes?

Thanks, Stu
whitestu
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:10 pm
Forename: stu
Surname: white

Re: US spec dual circuit master cylinder pipe fittings

Post by whitestu »

Having explored further looks like the adapter just isn't available to buy new so only option is a second hand one, which I'm unlikely to find or to make one, which might be feasible. Maybe not worth the effort though.
Not_Anumber
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
Forename: Chris
Surname: S
Location: UK

Re: US spec dual circuit master cylinder pipe fittings

Post by Not_Anumber »

Check to see if you could use a late UK/ european spec twin circuit master cylinder as they are plentiful
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
whitestu
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:10 pm
Forename: stu
Surname: white

Re: US spec dual circuit master cylinder pipe fittings

Post by whitestu »

Not_Anumber wrote: Wed Jul 09, 2025 12:31 pm Check to see if you could use a late UK/ european spec twin circuit master cylinder as they are plentiful
Thanks - that's what I've already got but I'm not overly happy with the brake pedal travel so slowly trying different components. I got hold of an adapter so will try the US MC at some point.

Cheers
Post Reply