Paint for gauges
Paint for gauges
I'm doing some cleaning and minor upgrades to some of the gauges (water temp & fuel) but I've noticed that the paint is chipped in a few places, looks to be brass underneath, the gauges are 'magnolia' and I can't find any suitable touch-up...I've looked at the model 'humbrol' range but they don't have a 'matt' just gloss, has anyone ever touched up a magnolia gauge and if so what did you use? Also any ideas, i don't want to just buy new gauges for the sake of some minor chips...thanks..
Re: Paint for gauges
I recall that Humbrol used to do a "matting" paint/agent which changed gloss paint to Matt paint. That was a long time ago, but something similar may still be available?
Ian F
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Re: Paint for gauges
I think I spotted a Humbrol matte , it looked like you paint it on ( or airbrush) on top of the gloss to make it matt, not sure, but it looked very complicated !! There are a few car touch-up pens the correct colour, but no matt...I'm i bit stumped
Re: Paint for gauges
I think what I remember was a matting agent which you mixed with gloss paint to make it matte. Whether it changes the colour slightly I don't know. Some sources suggest talc or something similar will also work.
Requires some experimentation!!
Ian F
Requires some experimentation!!
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Re: Paint for gauges
I found some aerosol, Plastikote matt magnolia just under £6, spray on a paint tray and touch up with a very very small brush, good results..