HS4 Float adjustment

Technical MGB discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
Remyd
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: Buckingham

HS4 Float adjustment

Post by Remyd »

I am in the process of refurbishing twin SU carbs for my B.
The floats are the all plastic type and need adjusting as they don't meet the 1/8 inch requirement. I have changed the needle seat ont he one on the right in the picture (picture loaded upside down, sorry), it used to drop right to the bowld lid, so that made a bit of improvement. I am aware that this type of float can't be adjusted unless you put washers beneath the needle which apparently is a great faf.
This got me thinking, would it be possible to adjust the needle housing height by inserting washers underneath it before screwing it back on the lid to make the whole unit rise, therefore rising the float height. Would this impair on the proper working of the needle and float?
Or, do i buy new floats with the metal fixing and swap them?

Remy
Carburettor float.jpg
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: HS4 Float adjustment

Post by Ian F »

The HS4 float chambers on my 1972 MGBGT look just like yours. The level is simply adjusted by bending a piece of metal?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Geoff Norcliffe
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:43 pm
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Norcliffe
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: HS4 Float adjustment

Post by Geoff Norcliffe »

I upgraded the floats in my '67 BGT to the "stay up" type manufactured by Burlen. They are a closed cell material design which is suitable for ethanol fuels and are very simply adjusted for height by bending the metal tab on top. They have proved to be very reliable over the last 5 years or so. I would recommend using these in any carb refurb.
Part no. is WZX 1304 and are available from most MG parts suppliers.
Geoff.
User avatar
Remyd
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: Buckingham

Re: HS4 Float adjustment

Post by Remyd »

Ian F wrote: Fri Dec 05, 2025 4:05 pm The HS4 float chambers on my 1972 MGBGT look just like yours. The level is simply adjusted by bending a piece of metal?

Ian F
The floats that I have got are the full plastic ones without the piece of metal to connect them. I believe that they can't be adjusted which is a bit of a pain. I'll probably get new ones.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
User avatar
Remyd
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: Buckingham

Re: HS4 Float adjustment

Post by Remyd »

Geoff Norcliffe wrote: Fri Dec 05, 2025 6:09 pm I upgraded the floats in my '67 BGT to the "stay up" type manufactured by Burlen. They are a closed cell material design which is suitable for ethanol fuels and are very simply adjusted for height by bending the metal tab on top. They have proved to be very reliable over the last 5 years or so. I would recommend using these in any carb refurb.
Part no. is WZX 1304 and are available from most MG parts suppliers.
Geoff.
Thanks for the advice and the part number. I'll order some of these along with the linkage as I am missing these too.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Post Reply