Oil cooler, late RB car

Technical MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: Silk

Re: Oil cooler, late RB car

Post by Not_Anumber »

The new oil cooler and pipes are in. An absolute breeze to fit after the unnecessary struggle of trying to work with the wrong hose.
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Chris,

That's good news - much easier with the right hoses.
I assume you managed to ease them / the grommets around them into & through the radiator support panel?

Cheers,

Charles
1980 Roadster
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

Hi Charles, yes i followed your advice to cut a thin slice out of the grommets, put them around the hoses and eased them into place with a large flat d screwdriver. Again being advised of the right method has saved lots of struggling and cursing.
The hoses run through the 2 lower holes in the radiator support panel but what of the 3rd hole above these. Should this be blanked off ?
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi Chris,
The top hole is not used on the 4 cylinder rubber bumper cars & was just left open without any blanking grommet.
Clausager, the bible on MGBs shows a picture of a V8 RB, with it being utilised by piping of the remote oil filter.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Chris
Again,per Clausager, the forward - mounted radiator on the V8s was introduced 3 years before the 4 cylinder cars . (The rad is similar but the top hose enters on the near side with the expansion tank resited to the near side as well).
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

Its a pity its the wrong side of the engine bay otherwise Id be quite tempted to run a straight length of pipe from there to feed cold air to the air filters.

Its the original design but Ive just realised that with the front duct and the undertray now correctly in place pretty much the majority of the air available to the carbs will be the warm air from the back of the radiator.
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

I suspect the air to the earlier MGBs with the radiator set further back, in reality didn't fair much better!
I've never had problems with overheating or petrol evaporation & spent several years blasting down the French auto -routes & being in queues of traffic in hot weather. I appreciate that colder air to the carbs should give a power gain , whether noticeable in a standard spec MGB engine with OE carbs & air filters is open to question.
Cheers
Charles
1980 Roadster
PeterB
Forename: Peter
Surname: Bonsall

Post by PeterB »

Apologies for being very late to this party. I recently fitted an oil thermostat together with new hoses and oil cooler. I kept the hose from the oil cooler to the filter via the thermostat standard but bought a standard hose and a hose for a Midget for the engine block to cooler lines. The Midget hose has a 90 degree bend as it leaves the block. This allowed me to route the hose under the distributor to the thermostat, mounted the engine side of the radiator support, cut to the appropriate length, and the third hose used from the thermostat to the cooler, again cut as appropriate. The advantage of this routing is that it allows for very easy access to the distributor.