Oil cooler, late RB car

Technical MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: Silk

Oil cooler, late RB car

Post by Not_Anumber »

The oil cooler on post 1977 cars hangs in front of the bottom of the radiator. At my first attempt at fitting this the hose to the far side of the oil cooler fouled the electric fan. Is it the case that this hose should actually run below the deck of the front panel- inside the 'sandwich' of the 2 horizontal panels ?
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Re: Oil cooler, late RB car

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi Chris,

Both oil cooler pipes go behind the electric fan motor and are also linked together by a strap just before they go through the radiator support.
It is difficult to take decent photos of this , but see attached which may help.
The strap stops the hoses , provided you have them positioned correctly & the right amount pushed through the rubber grommets, getting too close to the radiator fan blades.
Getting the hoses through the grommets is difficult . I found it only possible by cutting a small slice out of one side of each grommet & using some suitable easing agent - otherwise you will brake the attachment of the radiator support !
Cheers
Charles
Attachments
20201102_171824.jpg
20201102_171843.jpg
1980 Roadster
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Chris,
A further photo taken during my 2017 - 18 refurbishment :-
The oil cooler hose from the near side of the oil cooler goes in front (closer to the grill) of the one from the offside just in front of the back of the electric motor . I also positioned the strap just before the hoses passed below the edge of the slam plate.
Cheers,
Charles
Attachments
034.jpg
1980 Roadster
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

Are they the standard length hoses ? I have been really struggling with mine as the hoses are so tight they need to go direct. I dont have the option of taking one or both of my oil cooler hoses abound the back of the fan motor for instance as they then wouldnt reach the oil cooler. Right now the only way i can get the hose to stretch to the far side of the oil cooler has been to run it inside the box section. I am wondering if i have the wrong hoses.
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi Chris,
I replaced my oil cooler hoses about 20 years ago & remember checking that they were the same length as the originals.
I don't know if the ones you are struggling with are the ones that were originally on your car or if you have purchased some new ones & therefore possibly the wrong ones.
Over the production life ,there were i believe 3 changes in the oil cooler hoses.
The last change was part way through the rubber bumper era when the radiator was moved forward. The later cars had oil coolers suspended below the duct panel further forward, rather than sitting on the previous style duct panel. Clearly the later versions needed longer hoses. If you look at, for example. Moss's catalogue you will see that the last hoses are listed as part number BHH1610 at £25.45 each. (Unlike earlier versions they are both the same length).
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

The hose from the rear of the engine is original, though Im not clear on whether it was initially in that position as the friend who stripped down the engine bay had used it to temporally loop the oil flow between there and the oil filter housing. Ive only assumed it is intended to be the rear hose due to the presence of a small metal clip part of the way along, which ive seen on that hose in photos of other car's engine bays.

The other hose is certainly a replacement as the one which was on there when i got the car had been damaged. It was ordered at least 2 years ago by someone else and I am now doubting it is the right hose. It has a 90° bend at each end which probably isnt right either. It's this that had (wrongly) convinced me that hose needed to be run in the void between the panels rather than in the space above it as there was no other way the 90° bend could have clearance.

It was such a struggle trying to get the hoses onto the oil cooler at the weekend I ended up cross threading one end quite badly so would now need to get the damaged aluminium thread on the oil cooler cleaned or recut.

I spotted there's someone selling new Aeroline 10 or 13 row oil coolers complete with a pair of braided hoses for 1977 onwards Bs on Ebay for around £ 50. Im thinking that may be my safest and surest option now.
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Chris,
I suspect your friend simply by passed the oil cooler to keep the engine running.
The later cars were fitted with the suspended 10 row type.
The easiest way to fit the hoses is to fix them on the oil cooler when its sitting on the ground below the car & then as you lift it up to bolt to the car feed the pipes up through the holes in the duct plate. That way you can get the threads on straight & ensure you get them sufficiently tight without breaking the weld at the top of the oil cooler. (Unfortunately you already appeared to have damaged one of the threads).
I have measured one of my pipes as best as i can , but difficult to accurately measure behind the grill & below the slam plate. I have come up with a length of approx 118 -120 cm or 45 - 46ins of hose measured from where the metal sleeve at each end meets the rubber. As i said before each hose for the later RB cars are the same length.
Attached photo shows positioning of hoses - you will see that both oil hoses are held by a strap on the side of the expansion tank. The hose to the rear of the engine has no further support & is simply connected at the block.
Cheers,
Charles
Attachments
20180415_165654.jpg
1980 Roadster
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Chris,
The later type hoses (as fitted to my car) are straight where they join the oil cooler & at a shallow angle where they join the base of the oil filter take off & the rear of the engine. Clearly if you have 90 degree bends these are older types which were used at the oil cooler ends where the oil cooler sat on the older type duct plate.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Chris,
Picture of oil cooler pipes coming through duct plate.
Cheers,
Charles
Attachments
20180917_145823.jpg
1980 Roadster
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks Charles. That hose is definitely wrong and the thread on the oil cooler is now damaged. Il order replacements for both