Engine number

Technical MGB discussion
Post Reply
Bob Featherstone
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:18 am
Forename: Bob
Surname: Featherstone
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: Dawlish, Devon

Engine number

Post by Bob Featherstone »

Not sure if this General or Technical. I know the engine on my 1977 roadster was changed just before I bought it but I want to find out what year, and even type, the engine is. The reason I am asking is that I have recently purchased a Q Parts Fast Road Camshaft but the valves come in different sizes depending whether the engine comes from a rubber or chrome bumper model and I had better fit the right ones. I have looked at various websites but without success on identifying anything like mine. The number is 18VEHZ15547. I am hoping that somebody out there has the knowledge . . . . thank you.
User avatar
Peter Cresswell
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes
Location: Stone, Staffordshire

Re: Engine number

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Bob,
I've been trying to make sense of your engine number without success! The 18V means it's original application would have been in-line rear wheel drive, but that covers MGB's, Marinas and Sherpas! The next three letters (EHZ) don't line up with MGB engine codes in books or detailed on various websites. However the H might mean it is High Compression, and the Z might be North American, 2 carbs with emission controls. If the E was an F (can you check) then this might indicate MGB, but I have to say this is all might be. Perhaps someone else knows.

I can help with valve sizes though. Firstly it would be unwise to assume that the engine still has its original cylinder head, so the only way to be sure is to check the casting number. Remove the rocker cover and if the casting number is 12H1326 and 12H4736 then it will have the smaller 1.56" inlet valves. If it is 12H2709 then it has the larger 1.62" inlet valves. In each casting the exhaust valves were the same size (1.34"). The 12H2709 head was fitted to chrome bumper MGBs from 1972 to 74 and the Austin/Morris 1800S, and flows about 12 - 15% more air than the other two so is sought after for any modifications. This assumes the head is still standard of course!

If your head doesn't have one of these three casting numbers, this article will help you to identify what you have got:
http://www.flowspeed.com/cylinder-ident.htm
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+

40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
Bob Featherstone
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:18 am
Forename: Bob
Surname: Featherstone
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: Dawlish, Devon

Re: Engine number

Post by Bob Featherstone »

Thanks Pete.
To be honest the engine number on the car has been partly removed at some point and all that remains is the final ...47 and the whole number I quoted is correct as per the V5C. It looks like I will have to leave this to my professional mechanic as it is beyond me - I just polish and drive!!!
Post Reply