Vacuum advance misfire
-
Vic Butler
- Posts: 812
- Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:07 pm
- Forename: Vic
- Surname: Butler
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: North West Hampshire
Re: Vacuum advance misfire
Please everyone disregard my comment about the centrifugal advance moving the base plate. Of course it doesn't. I'm a complete idiot. I must have had a brain fade.
The rotor arm shaft is actually in 2 pieces. If you hold the drive gear you can twist the rotor arm separately and that is how the ignition is advanced. The base plate is activated by the vacuum advance so I will now return to my original diagnosis that there's a break in the wiring or the earth wire if fitted.
Apologies for the stupid error. I'll put it down to age (any excuse).
The rotor arm shaft is actually in 2 pieces. If you hold the drive gear you can twist the rotor arm separately and that is how the ignition is advanced. The base plate is activated by the vacuum advance so I will now return to my original diagnosis that there's a break in the wiring or the earth wire if fitted.
Apologies for the stupid error. I'll put it down to age (any excuse).
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Re: Vacuum advance misfire
Thanks again Vic, I clearly need to have a closer look at a distributor at some point! Apologies for the misleading question......
Ian F
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
-
Mudguardandy
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:03 am
- Forename: Andy
- Surname: Billett
- Location: Tunbridge Wells
Re: Vacuum advance misfire
Charles,
I’ll check the plug gaps just to be sure.. 035
From memory. But as I’ve said she’s fine with the vacuum off, and with or without vacuum,
no misfire at tick-over.
I’ll check the plug gaps just to be sure.. 035
From memory. But as I’ve said she’s fine with the vacuum off, and with or without vacuum,
no misfire at tick-over.
Re: Vacuum advance misfire
It would be interesting to know whether the misfire at higher revs is only when the engine is under load, or whether it misfires under all conditions at higher revs? (ie when stationary and revved).
I think it is commonly encountered that when under load any weakness in the ignition is likely to show up as a lack of spark in one or more cylinders.
A new set of plugs correctly gapped would be a good starting point, but there would still be the vacuum advance puzzle to sort out.
Ian F
I think it is commonly encountered that when under load any weakness in the ignition is likely to show up as a lack of spark in one or more cylinders.
A new set of plugs correctly gapped would be a good starting point, but there would still be the vacuum advance puzzle to sort out.
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
-
Vic Butler
- Posts: 812
- Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:07 pm
- Forename: Vic
- Surname: Butler
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: North West Hampshire
Re: Vacuum advance misfire
On tickover the vacuum advance on a chrome bumper B isn't operative. Gradually increase the revs and see what happens.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
-
Mudguardandy
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:03 am
- Forename: Andy
- Surname: Billett
- Location: Tunbridge Wells
Re: Vacuum advance misfire
I’ve replaced plugs with new v recently with ( NGKs ) ready for summer so very few miles on them.
The misfire happens without load in the workshop. Nothing at idle, but gradually kicks in
More as revs are increased. Holding the revs
At 3000 the misfires seem to increase.
The misfire happens without load in the workshop. Nothing at idle, but gradually kicks in
More as revs are increased. Holding the revs
At 3000 the misfires seem to increase.
Re: Vacuum advance misfire
Well I guess that should make it easier to sort out! A fault which only manifests itself on the road at high speed would be much more difficult.
Ian F
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
-
Vic Butler
- Posts: 812
- Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:07 pm
- Forename: Vic
- Surname: Butler
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: North West Hampshire
Re: Vacuum advance misfire
That proves that the movement of the base plate causes the fault. It must be a fault in one of the wires, probably under the insulation or in the grommet in the distributor body.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Re: Vacuum advance misfire
Well that sounds very straightforward!!
Ian F
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
-
Mudguardandy
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:03 am
- Forename: Andy
- Surname: Billett
- Location: Tunbridge Wells
Re: Vacuum advance misfire
I agree, everything saying baseplate movement
Is the problem. But vacuum removed, the baseplate still moves with the weights. So why wouldn’t it misfire then ?
Is the problem. But vacuum removed, the baseplate still moves with the weights. So why wouldn’t it misfire then ?