My 1970 MGB wing has a small British Union flag where there Is usually a Leyland badge
The 1970 MGB on Wikipedia has the Leyland badge
Is mine a customisation or was that year on the cusp of Leyland labelling and both were factory fitted 🤷🏻
Cheers
Dave G
1970 Wing badge
-
djgreen
- Posts: 59
- Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:33 am
- Forename: David
- Surname: Green
- Location: Surrey / Hampshire
1970 Wing badge
MGB Roadster 1970
MGF Roadster 2001

MGF Roadster 2001
Re: 1970 Wing badge
Dave, as far as I recall there was only the BL badge fitted. I definitely recall most folks removing them or not replacing them if new wings were fitted. They were seen as a dilution of the MG image of the car.
I still have mine, but in a drawer in the garage with other discarded badges etc. I did keep the sticker on the rocker cover though, and am rather proud of that now!
Others may be able to add something more than recollections😊
Ian F
I still have mine, but in a drawer in the garage with other discarded badges etc. I did keep the sticker on the rocker cover though, and am rather proud of that now!
Others may be able to add something more than recollections😊
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
-
djgreen
- Posts: 59
- Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:33 am
- Forename: David
- Surname: Green
- Location: Surrey / Hampshire
Re: 1970 Wing badge
Ian Fozzard wrote:
> Dave, as far as I recall there was only the BL badge fitted. I definitely
> recall most folks removing them or not replacing them if new wings were
> fitted. They were seen as a dilution of the MG image of the car.
> I still have mine, but in a drawer in the garage with other discarded
> badges etc. I did keep the sticker on the rocker cover though, and am
> rather proud of that now!
>
> Others may be able to add something more than recollections😊
>
> Ian F
Thanks Ian
Interesting about the BL rebellion !
It is definitely a replacement wing ..... the VIN number plate by the radiator is an MG Car Company plate ... could that also be a a replacement due to the same sentiments ??
Cheers
Dave G
> Dave, as far as I recall there was only the BL badge fitted. I definitely
> recall most folks removing them or not replacing them if new wings were
> fitted. They were seen as a dilution of the MG image of the car.
> I still have mine, but in a drawer in the garage with other discarded
> badges etc. I did keep the sticker on the rocker cover though, and am
> rather proud of that now!
>
> Others may be able to add something more than recollections😊
>
> Ian F
Thanks Ian
Interesting about the BL rebellion !
It is definitely a replacement wing ..... the VIN number plate by the radiator is an MG Car Company plate ... could that also be a a replacement due to the same sentiments ??
Cheers
Dave G
MGB Roadster 1970
MGF Roadster 2001

MGF Roadster 2001
Re: 1970 Wing badge
I think there were only 3 small blue BL badges at the time, one on the rocker cover and one on each wing. None had any great significance other than a claim of ownership so could be removed without consequence.
Ian F
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
- Charles Farran
- Posts: 498
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 am
- Forename: Charles
- Surname: Farran
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Warwickshire
Re: 1970 Wing badge
Clausager says that the BL corporate badge was added to each front wing (except for Arab countries where MG badge fitted) from 1969 & shows a picture of the first type of BL badge with silver painting on a blue background as fitted from 1969 - 1972.
Cheers
Charles
Cheers
Charles
1980 Roadster