1965 MGB GT PRESS CAR

General MGB discussion
Post Reply
Steve Nicholls
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:24 pm
Forename: Steve
Surname: Nicholls

1965 MGB GT PRESS CAR

Post by Steve Nicholls »

Hi, Am a very lucky owner of an MGB GT (Reg Number EOJ 221C) who's first owner was the press dept at BMC it was used in the road tests for British Car Magazines Autocar and The Motor , i have been trying to trace the history with the help of the MG Clubs and Autocar but i have not been able to find out anything from when the car was with BMC.
I was just wondering if there was anyone who know of anyone who worked for BMC in the press dept around 1965 to 1966 who i could contact or anyone that has some info re the MG'S that were used by the press dept. any info would be very helpful including photo's etc.
Thanks for reading
Steve
User avatar
George Wilder
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:43 pm
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder
MGCC Member: Yes
Location: North West Essex

Re: 1965 MGB GT PRESS CAR

Post by George Wilder »

Steve
I do hope you canbring the car to some MGB GT 50th celebrations such as at MG Live in June at Silverstone.

The first port of call must be BHIHT at the Gaydon Museum.
If any papers from the press department are preserved this where they will be found. I guess the BMC Press Department was based as all BMC Head Office functions at Longbridge - there would not have been such a function at Abingdon. The car is Birmingham registered too.

You could try writing to the Birmingham papers to see if there are any people around from 50 years ago who worked in the Press department.
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Steve Nicholls
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:24 pm
Forename: Steve
Surname: Nicholls

Re: 1965 MGB GT PRESS CAR

Post by Steve Nicholls »

Hi George ,Thanks for your info , I have tried all that , I did have some luck with Autocar and they provided around 150 photos of when the car was road tester , even have some colour ones at Brand Hatch which is lovely also on ebay I found an AA booklet from 1966 on buying a used MGB GT and car featured is mine that was a lucky find.
The car is at moment being restored back to its former glory its Sandy Beige with Red interior , wont have it ready for this year but one day it will be there I promise
Thanks again for your reply Steve
Post Reply