For the past 20 years I have messed around with Landrovers and have modified and maintained them myself. I recently ventured into Triumph Spitfires for a short period and whilst I loved mine, I found it an underwhelming experience overall , mainly due to a poor paint job that had masked a load of rot ( perhaps also as I had wanted one since the age of 14 and waited 35 years to own one the novelty had worn off, but it was a good venture into the classic world and I doubled my money
The car I’ve found is very original with no filler found and still original paint all round including the chassis and floor pans . The current owner has owned it since 1994 but has not driven her since circa 2006 due to health issues. However in that period it has always been mot’d and dry kept. Its mileage over the past 10 years is just 29 miles, which was consists of an annual trip to the local mot station and back by his friendly garage.
So I will be recommissioning her over the next months, the owner advises the engine was totally reconditioned in 1995, most of the mots have advisories on imbalanced rear brakes and worn suspension pins/bushes so the first job will be to replace the front brakes, overhaul the rear drums and change all fluids and have a good look at the suspension and steering. On start up she backfires but soon settles down once a bit of heat is circulating so any advice on what to check here will be welcome......I’m hoping maybe some fresh fuel and filters will be the answer, as the fuel pump requires a little tap to get her going.
All advice will be welcome, I’m pretty handy with a spanner, but all mechanical knowledge is self taught over 35 years of motoring. I don’t believe in paying someone to do something that I can do, enjoy and learn from!
Thanks Bri