MGB automatic
MGB automatic
For health reasons I'm considering having my 1972 Roadster converted to automatic and power assisted steering. I'd welcome any advice, past experience or other comments to assist and advise me. I have full confidence in the knowledge and skills those who will actually do the necessary engineering.
- Paul Scott
- Posts: 381
- Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:48 pm
- Forename: Paul
- Surname: Scott
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: Milton Keynes
Re: MGB automatic
Hi Brin,
Welcome to the forum.
I don't want to turn you away from the forum but I would like to ask are you on Facebook?
There is a chap within our facebook group Victor Strugnell who is very knowledgeable on the bits you are talking about.
I have sent a message to Victor, I will let you know if anything comes back.
StaySafe
Regards
Paul
Welcome to the forum.
I don't want to turn you away from the forum but I would like to ask are you on Facebook?
There is a chap within our facebook group Victor Strugnell who is very knowledgeable on the bits you are talking about.
I have sent a message to Victor, I will let you know if anything comes back.
StaySafe
Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Webguru for MGB Register
-
ChargedAutoGT
- Posts: 69
- Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:37 pm
- Forename: Graham
- Surname: Moore
- MGOC Member: Yes
Re: MGB automatic
you will struggle to find all of the parts. the ring gear is pretty hard to find (tho there is one on ebay at the moment) as are the spacers for the flexplate, and kickdown bracket. That's if you are going down the BW35 route.
the zf4 HP22 is a 4 speed auto with lock up torque convertor and there are a couple of companies who supply and fit for the triumph stag.
depends on your driving style and how much you drive as to if it would be better for you.
But buying an auto instead is quite practical, there are a few up for sale now and again.
the zf4 HP22 is a 4 speed auto with lock up torque convertor and there are a couple of companies who supply and fit for the triumph stag.
depends on your driving style and how much you drive as to if it would be better for you.
But buying an auto instead is quite practical, there are a few up for sale now and again.
Re: MGB automatic
Many thanks for your helpful replies to my post. Because I've had the B from new I'd rather not buy an auto to replace it!
You are right about difficulties in sourcing an auto gearbox so we have decided to remove and store the present engine and gearbox and fit an MX5 engine and auto gearbox. The process could be reversed in the future to re-authenticate the car!
You are right about difficulties in sourcing an auto gearbox so we have decided to remove and store the present engine and gearbox and fit an MX5 engine and auto gearbox. The process could be reversed in the future to re-authenticate the car!
-
Not_Anumber
- Posts: 415
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
- Forename: Chris
- Surname: S
- Location: UK
Re: MGB automatic
That sounds like a great and practical solution
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
-
ChargedAutoGT
- Posts: 69
- Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:37 pm
- Forename: Graham
- Surname: Moore
- MGOC Member: Yes
Re: MGB automatic
will you be fitting it yourself? that's a conversion that i'd be very interested in hearing more of.