I recently replaced the cup washers and shims in my '80 B rear axle to try to get rid of the clunk. One of the cup washers was clearly worn and like tin foil but nothing else seemed to be. After re-assembly the clunk is unchanged. The prop seems fine so I don't know whether to live with it or investigate further. I have about 8-9mm of movement on the input flange to the diff which I think is at the upper range of acceptable. Is there anything easy to do next or is it a case of a full axle rebuild or live with it?
Thanks
Stu
Axle Still Clunking after new cup washers & shims
Re: Axle Still Clunking after new cup washers & shims
How many miles has it done? could be worth looking at the splines on the half shafts,
Re: Axle Still Clunking after new cup washers & shims
Thicker washers are available to take up the wear, but you must
leave some free play
Ian F
leave some free play
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold