Mgb big end shells

Technical MGB discussion
Post Reply
bluetr3
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:19 am
Forename: John
Surname: Roberts

Mgb big end shells

Post by bluetr3 »

I wonder if someone could kindly help me to identify the undersize my engine’s big end shells.
The stamping on them is as follows:

County C4403 060 MM

If 0.60 mm in inches = 0.0236, this seems a strange undersize, and I am not sure that they are correct. These were obtained from Moss, and fitted be me about 14 years ago, the mains are Glazier at 0.030 u/s (no problem with those) I am rebuilding the engine due to piston ring failure, and I need to also replace the big end shells with correct undersize. The crank is in good shape with no bottom end problems for the last 70,000 miles. Any help would be most grateful.
John
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Mgb big end shells

Post by Ian F »

As far as I understand, "AM" signifies bimetal bearings and "CP" indicates trimetal (superior). So MM not necessarily meaning millimetres.
Probably 60 thou undersize?

If you have the engine dismantled I would advise getting the crank journals checked for size and ovality and getting things just right before putting it all back together.

You could try asking your local engine building company, or post something on the US site - MG experience, if you don't get a definitive answer on this forum.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Mgb big end shells

Post by Ian F »

MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
bluetr3
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:19 am
Forename: John
Surname: Roberts

Re: Mgb big end shells

Post by bluetr3 »

Thanks Ian
I am taking the crank to be checked out. Incidentally This time around I am using Nural pistons, OE standard. Definitely not County. Saved £120, from Engineparts(UK), also supply ACL trimetal bearings, Vince, very helpful guy.
Thanks John
Post Reply