Windscreen Wiper motor advice

Technical MGB discussion
User avatar
Issug987
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Windscreen Wiper motor advice

Post by Issug987 »

I'm looking to buy a new windscreen wiper motor, although they are readily available, it looks like the £50 - £70 ones are copies and the genuine Lucas ones are £200+. Without actually physically holding and looking at the two, does anyone have experience of the cheaper copies and are they any good?
Vic Butler
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:07 pm
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: North West Hampshire

Re: Windscreen Wiper motor advice

Post by Vic Butler »

Go for the proper one.
Buy cheap, buy (at least) twice.
What quality would you put on an item made the other side of the world, shipped to the UK then sold for £70 or so?
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Windscreen Wiper motor advice

Post by Ian F »

I think Vic is on the right track, but remember any "Lucas" one will be either original and probably worn, or reconditioned with parts from guess where? So any reconditioning will depend really on who does it and what parts are used.
The holy grail of course is a new old stock item which has been sitting on a dusty shelf in some garage for many decades......

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
User avatar
Issug987
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Re: Windscreen Wiper motor advice

Post by Issug987 »

I have come across a mini website that sells a uk made 14W, new but using the original tooling, no mention of the manufacturer name, any ideas?
Rommel
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:14 pm
Forename: Tony
Surname: Bave

Re: Windscreen Wiper motor advice

Post by Rommel »

Have you taken the existing one apart to see what is wrong ? chances are it is just the brushes that may need replacing. or if you can find a electrical motor repair shop get them to look at it. Not sure where you are but there is a very good one in Burghfield near Reading Berkshire that are very good.
User avatar
Issug987
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Re: Windscreen Wiper motor advice

Post by Issug987 »

Good advice but I need to explain, the one fitted to the car is serviceable, I'm after another to mount on a rig so that I can take some electrical measurements and simulate various loads. I'm making a controller for the wipers, I originally had the hand pump for the washer, but changed that to an electric pump, but now I've decided to automate the washer so it will do both 'normal' squirt but also a preprogrammed cycle with the wipers. Once done ill keep the motor as a spare so I was just looking for a good quality one, I did consider a second hand one, but you often don't know what you are getting so anyone who has fitted a new one to help me in the right direction. Thanks
Not_Anumber
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
Forename: Chris
Surname: S
Location: UK

Re: Windscreen Wiper motor advice

Post by Not_Anumber »

Programmable as in single wipe & interval delay or rain sensing ?
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
User avatar
Issug987
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Re: Windscreen Wiper motor advice

Post by Issug987 »

Hi, the plan at the moment is to keep the existing switches, so the three position rocker will function as normal, the water wash button if momentarily pressed (less than 0.5 second) will do a single or perhaps two wipes at full speed, if you press for more than 0.5 seconds perhaps a cycle of say squirt water, wipe a couple of times, wait a few seconds, than wipe again. If the wipers are already running slow or fast, the wash button will just act as normal. I'm not sure of the exact procedure yet, once the control unit is built you have full control to do anything you want, it is just seeing what works best, so happy for any suggestions...I did consider also the wash push-button selecting intervals for the slow speed setting, just can't find a period looking button at the moment.
Not_Anumber
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
Forename: Chris
Surname: S
Location: UK

Re: Windscreen Wiper motor advice

Post by Not_Anumber »

Invisibly adding the control logic whilst keeping the existing switchgear should be a good challenge.
I remember doing a very basic version once on a 1970's Fiat by running a diode from the washer's +v feed over to the wiper motor's slow speed wire so it always gave a wipe when washing the screen. Im consious that cant be applied to some MGBs though as some, especially later Bs have the washer fed by a permanent live so it's the earth that is switched.

Ive had to tackle MGB wiper wiring recently as I needed to move over to using MGF stalks as part of the DIY EPAS conversion. Interestingly, other than a need to swap over the + live and - negative feed wires all the switched outputs were the same as on a late MGB stalk. As the new stalk also had a position for intermittent wipe I added a propritary timer circuit and a dpdt changeover relay to provide that function. There was a variable delay control on the PCB which ive shifted onto a flying lead so I can discretely mount it in place of the dash light dimmer.
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
GrahamF
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2024 8:21 pm
Forename: Graham
Surname: Fry

Re: Windscreen Wiper motor advice

Post by GrahamF »

Is it a DR3A or a 14W motor ?
Post Reply