Is there any sort of resource where I can identify OE Factory camshafts ?
A series engines were marked I recall, but B series items appear to me unmarked.
Camshaft identification
Re: Camshaft identification
B series aftermarket cams are most likely Piper or perhaps Kent. They should/may have a number stamped on the end.
If yours is still in the engine you could measure the cam lift (or perhaps do this with a bench rig). If it's the same as a standard MG cam, then that's most likely what you have.
Nothing else I know of unfortunately.
Ian F
If yours is still in the engine you could measure the cam lift (or perhaps do this with a bench rig). If it's the same as a standard MG cam, then that's most likely what you have.
Nothing else I know of unfortunately.
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Re: Camshaft identification
A bit of information here:
"Camshaft Identification : MGB & GT Forum : The MG Experience" https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt- ... 9.4039403/
Ian F
"Camshaft Identification : MGB & GT Forum : The MG Experience" https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt- ... 9.4039403/
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Re: Camshaft identification
I know the likes of Kent and Piper are marked, but I was hoping for some info on factory fit items, but it seems no info is available.
Re: Camshaft identification
I suspect the only things you could do are to either just replace the one you have if it looks at all damaged or worn, or invest in some "V" blocks and measure lift and duration and compare with the standard MGB cam.
Piper cams are well worth fitting in my experience.
Ian F
Piper cams are well worth fitting in my experience.
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Re: Camshaft identification
I don't really want to spend Piper sort of money at the moment though, I was thinking more of a standard one from Rimmers, MGOC or MGBhive. I suspect they all come from the same place.Ian F wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2024 1:35 pm I suspect the only things you could do are to either just replace the one you have if it looks at all damaged or worn, or invest in some "V" blocks and measure lift and duration and compare with the standard MGB cam.
Piper cams are well worth fitting in my experience.
Ian F
I have a lathe and degree wheel, if I can find it, so I can set it up to see what they are, but I dont need a clock to see that a couple of the lobes are worn. Some of the followers are pitted.
In my experience, Kent cams are not !
Re: Camshaft identification
I agree about Kent cams, might be good in Fords etc. but I think Piper are to be preferred in the MGB engines.
You may be able to get a good used one, if you can find anyone who has upgraded their engine with a Piper item.
Keep us up to date with how you get on!
Ian F
You may be able to get a good used one, if you can find anyone who has upgraded their engine with a Piper item.
Keep us up to date with how you get on!
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold