3/4 anti roll bar

General MGB discussion
dsr888
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2024 2:13 pm
Forename: DAVID
Surname: ROBINSON
MGCC Member: Yes

3/4 anti roll bar

Post by dsr888 »

1968 BGT
Recently acquired a ¾ inch anti roll bar should I fit anti roll bar locating clamps each end.
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by Ian F »

Not sure I understand your question, but the roll bar is bolted to the two forwards chassis legs, and the outer ends to the lower spring pan.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
User avatar
Bumpa
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:58 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by Bumpa »

I think he means the clamps that stop the bar from moving sideways in the mountings. I have a 3/4" bar and have driven my GT for 15 years without them and it has never been a problem. And it's never been mentioned at the annual MOT.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
dsr888
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2024 2:13 pm
Forename: DAVID
Surname: ROBINSON
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by dsr888 »

Thanks for reply’s, yes it’s the two side way stops on the inside of the mountings as used on the standard roll bar.
User avatar
Issug987
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by Issug987 »

I have a 3/4 ARB too and have fitted the clamps, new poly bushes too. If you don't fit them the ARB can move when cornering, bends , roundabouts etc, not a lot but it can 'creep' one way ( mostly to the left for UK driving) this gives slightly uneven anti roll. For a few quid and 10 mins work, I'd fit them...

I don't think the supplier of the ARB or the usual MG suppliers sold the clamps, so I used just normal shaft collars.

https://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/cadb19z ... GkQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AZSSMUK-Double ... gQT=1&th=1
dsr888
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2024 2:13 pm
Forename: DAVID
Surname: ROBINSON
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by dsr888 »

Thanks Mike
I had looked at few UK suppliers but no one sold them many thanks for the links.
User avatar
MikeD
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:50 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: Dixon
MGCC Member: Yes
Location: S Wiltshire

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by MikeD »

Just in time for me - my anti roll bar has been creeping and contacting the balance weights on full lock, I was just about to get some cut down washers welded on but these look a lot better. I did not know these existed - my jubilee clip alternative did not work

Thanks!
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by Ian F »

Were these fitted originally at MG? I don't believe I have these ony BGT?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
User avatar
Issug987
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by Issug987 »

Originally my GT had a 5/8" ARB, and was fitted with two 'locators ' as MG called them ,part number 21A667 (upper) & 21A668 (lower). They were low grade aluminium so were quite corroded, the replacements were plated steel, I used a nylon washer and anti-seize grease just to ensure it remained free as it is quite an exposed area. Also had to make sure the
OD did not impinge on the chassis, the collars can be different sizes.
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: 3/4 anti roll bar

Post by Ian F »

Thanks for the reply issug987. Can I ask a couple of questions?

What year is your BGT, and did you have it from new?
Is it possible these were fitted by a PO?

My reason for asking is that my BGT 1972, doesn't have them, and I bought it in 1978 with no restoration or modification so I am pretty sure that's how it left Abingdon.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Post Reply